INSIDE car window mount Scanner antenna?

Status
Not open for further replies.

arista5

I will be doing a cross country drive in a few weeks and unfortunately the car i am driving doesn't offer any magnetic surface. I have had much luck in the past with my Larsen tribands on all the other cars but this one is seemingly much harder to find. Scanner is a 436HP with the puck. I am also going to be using my 346xt for close calls separately

can anyone recommend anything. I cant say all of the bands i will be listening for as i am traveling from the North east Atlantic all the way to southwest California Pacific and I am not 100% what each county will use.

looks like these two are my only options.

SpectrumForce Window-Mount Mini Mobile/Indoor Antenna for UHF/800 MHz with SMA

OR

In-Car Mobile Antenna with SMA | Scanner Master

anyone have any results of their use or recommendations on something else?

marksmith

The spectrum force antenna is very good on 800mz and ok on 300-450mz, but not very good on any other band

I have tried the other one and its nothing but a piece of cheap speaker wire and 2 suction cups. It works about as good as you would think. It's in a drawer some where now. If I knew where it was I would send it to you, as it's worthless to me. Don’t waste your money.

Since you might be wanting to listen to just about any band, I think the antenna that comes with the radio is your best bet.

If you want to specialize on 800-900mz, then the spectrum force, mounted vertically, is pretty good. I use it as a window mount, at my home and it picks up stuff that is otherwise hard to get. I have not tried it in a car.

Mark
WS1095/536/436/996P2/HP1e/HP2e/996XT/325P2/396XT/PRO668/PSR800/PRO652

arista5

Also it says to mount vertical, only vertical windows i have are side windows. think i will lose signal if mounted on the front or rear window with the typical angles of sports cars?

W8RMH

Feed Provider Since 2012
On glass antennas including those you have linked are poor performers. Driving cross country I think you will have better luck with a tri-band antenna on a trunk lip or fender mount if a mag mount is not an option. You should also take into account you will be passing through large cities and multiple terrain situations.

arista5

W8RMH, I had looked into those but unfortunately the car i am driving is a 2015 Porsche GT3 and the mounting points are next to none for a fender mount and doing it behind the rear window is virtually impossible without anything permanent. :( i have to resort to something in car or through the window like the old time cell phone antennas.

PACNWDude

The In-Car Antenna is the type I have used in the past. I just connect it to the rear view mirror and let it hand down, or attach them to the rear coat hangers and let them hang down that way. Work well with Uniden BCT15 and VHF/UHF mostly. Some 800 MHz comes in very clear also.

For what they are they work very well for travel.

whisper16

How about the MFJ-310S? As marksmith said just use the antenna that is on the 436 now. I used one of these for years with the rubber duck that came with the scanner. Reception was excellent.

N8IAA

How about a trunk lip mount? I have a Diamond K412SMNO that comes with 13.5' of coax. Then you can pick what antenna for what you want to monitor.
Larry

ecps92

How about a Window (Not the thru Glass) Mount ? Put on your Favorite/Best/Band Specific Portable Antenna

Easy On/Easy Off - Covert :cool:

KD0TAZ

Feed Provider
How about a trunk lip mount? I have a Diamond K412SMNO that comes with 13.5' of coax. Then you can pick what antenna for what you want to monitor.
Larry

How about a Window (Not the thru Glass) Mount ? Put on your Favorite/Best/Band Specific Portable Antenna

Easy On/Easy Off - Covert :cool:

LOL come on guys it's a Porsche GT3. The only place for a window mount would be the passenger door, and there's no way a trunk lid mount would work, especially if his has the wing on it.

I think he's stuck with a thru-glass version.

Last edited:

ecps92

My Window mount is used on the Passenger Door Windows, too Dangerous to have it on my Drivers Door :roll:

http://www.universal-radio.com/catalog/scanants/0204.jpg
http://www.mfjenterprises.com/Downloads/MFJ-310/MFJ-310_THUMB.jpg

Also the old Suction cup mounts work
http://forums.radioreference.com/at...dio-shack-dual-suction-cup-bnc-mount-3069.jpg

LOL come on guys it's a Porsche GT3. The only place for a window mount would be the passenger door, and there's no way a trunk lid mount would work, especially if his has the wing on it.

I think he's stuck with a thru-glass version.

KD0TAZ

Feed Provider
My Window mount is used on the Passenger Door Windows, too Dangerous to have it on my Drivers Door :roll:

Porsches don't have window frames, so it'll fall off the glass as soon as you open the door... Not very convenient if you have a passenger...

Kb2Jpd

I will be doing a cross country drive in a few weeks and unfortunately the car i am driving doesn't offer any magnetic surface. I have had much luck in the past with my Larsen tribands on all the other cars but this one is seemingly much harder to find. Scanner is a 436HP with the puck. I am also going to be using my 346xt for close calls separately

can anyone recommend anything. I cant say all of the bands i will be listening for as i am traveling from the North east Atlantic all the way to southwest California Pacific and I am not 100% what each county will use.

looks like these two are my only options.

SpectrumForce Window-Mount Mini Mobile/Indoor Antenna for UHF/800 MHz with SMA

OR

In-Car Mobile Antenna with SMA | Scanner Master

anyone have any results of their use or recommendations on something else?

Hi from Adam Kb2Jpd in Brooklyn New York.

I use that pictured antenna with my ham radio transceivers from VHF to UHF with great success.

The gold connectors don't corrode and take the elements well. I use it with a very thin dual band antenna and leave it on the mini-van when I street parking. Nobody notices the mount. Everybody is walking by doing FaceTime or on phone with their spaghetti budgets.

Currently using it with a variety of antennas on DMR.

Make sure you get the proper antenna cut for the bands you want to listen to. The factory scanner antenna receives all frequency equally poorly.

ecps92

bob-k

Interesting

http://www.universal-radio.com/catalog/scanants/0204.jpg
http://www.mfjenterprises.com/Downloads/MFJ-310/MFJ-310_THUMB.jpg

Also the old Suction cup mounts work
http://forums.radioreference.com/at...dio-shack-dual-suction-cup-bnc-mount-3069.jpg

I may go this route are these or can these come SMA antenna connection? as I would like to buy an SMA that I can use on my SDS100, take off scanner and put on car? for research possibilities can I have makers and model #s please and thanks for the great idea!

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
I had a SpectrumForce antenna and felt it performed very poorly on a P25 simulcast system. I had better results with the Radio Shack RS800 (Remtronix) antenna mounted in a 90 degree BNC adapter horizontally on the back of the scanner which was mounted under the instrument panel. Go figure? By all technical logic, it should not have performed well at all, but it did very well.

Everyone's results will differ. There are numerous variables that can influence your results.

Bob1955

Uniden has a inside suction mount scanner antenna which provides ok reception. Not nearly as good as a outside antenna. They run about $19.95 or so plus shipping. They usually come with a Bearcat BC355N.

Status
Not open for further replies.