RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > Scanners, Receivers and Related Equipment Forums > Antennas and Associated Hardware > Scanner / Receiver Antennas

Scanner / Receiver Antennas - For discussion of any type of receiving antenna used by a scanner or receiver base, mobile or handheld.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 01-12-2018, 3:13 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Default antenna not drawing in stations

So recently the reception to my scanner has been horrible, I'm using an old radioshack 36" magnet mount antenna on a cookie sheet placed up high in the corner of the room. I live in an apartment so an outdoor antenna is not possible.

Anyway upon inspection I accidentally pulled the antenna out of it base and behold the coax is drawing in the signal, there's no difference when the antenna is plugged in.

Is the antenna done for? Is there a fix of any kind?

Thanks in advance.

(footnote: tested it on several scanners with the same results)
Old 01-12-2018, 4:43 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

I'm guessing your antenna is for CB (27MHz band) radio. So it would not would perform well for most of what people scan today VHF/UHF.

Guessing again, if the coax is working as an antenna without an antenna, you're likely monitoring the 800MHz band.
Old 01-12-2018, 4:55 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by iMONITOR View Post
I'm guessing your antenna is for CB (27MHz band) radio. So it would not would perform well for most of what people scan today VHF/UHF.

Guessing again, if the coax is working as an antenna without an antenna, you're likely monitoring the 800MHz band.
No it's the scanner antenna with the coils. I'm not picking up any 800mhz stuff mostly local VHF/UHF stuff.
Old 01-12-2018, 4:55 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

$10 with a BNC connector - https://www.amazon.com/1089-BNC-Mini...DDKVEB1NAN1YCB

$11 with a SMA connector - https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Old 01-12-2018, 6:25 PM

I would try a flat indoor tv antenna.

They work well on high vhf to 900mhz and they attach to the inside of a window.

They can be found for 10 or 15 bucks online or at your local walmart or Best buy, Lowes, Home depot etc

Buy a female F to bnc adapter and you are good to go
Sponsored links
Old 01-12-2018, 7:35 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

do yourself a favor and get a larsen tribander 150 500 800 mhz also get the separate mag mount. you can use it in your car too. mount that on your cookie sheet and you will be happy with your reception
Old 01-12-2018, 9:46 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Default Upgrade to Triband

Agree you can take that radioshack base apart but at the end of the day a Larsen Triband changes it up. I have one and I love it! I also tried the RS mag mount. Not surprised there are more complaints here than positive reviews..
Old 01-13-2018, 1:11 AM
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

I have had numerous RS antenna in my lifetime and had bad luck with all. I agree with the others, go with the Larsen.
Old 01-13-2018, 2:26 AM

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by W8RMH View Post
I have had numerous RS antenna in my lifetime and had bad luck with all. I agree with the others, go with the Larsen.
Don't feel bad about that... I have been having the same bad luck with previous purchases of scanner antennas, many varieties & brands & lot of them to mention over the past recent years being a public safety scanner enthusiast who always likes to be in the know of what is going on around me & my area. I have been struggling to find a perfect scanner receiving antenna that can I would receive 150-174 Mhz, 450-470 Mhz & 806-1300 Mhz ranges all with wonderful clarity & no distorted frequencies so that I can actually hear & understand what the public safety agencies are saying on my digital scanner. I have had no luck still as this day. Just well spent money, time & effort wasted with little to no success & the bad luck times with trying to accomplish this!! My worst luck for receiving clearly in those frequency ranges is with (Discone base antennas) that I am finally giving up on once & for all.

I just happen to come across this thread on Radio Reference recently & read to find out about a possibly good to wonderful receiving antenna that I did not know about & have not tried yet for the luck that I wish to have on my Uniden BCD536HP Digital Scanner. I am now going to purchase the Larsen NMO150/450/800 Antenna as well & then install it on a Nagoya GPK-01 Ground Plane Kit on my 35 foot outdoor antenna mast to see what it can do for me & my digital scanner. I am certainly liking all of the positives from others that I just started reading here today on Radio Reference including this thread about the Larsen NMO150/450/800 Antenna. Maybe this will finally be the one to do it all & satisfy me with clarity & reception on my scanner frequencies in my mountainous area that I live. Fingers crossed!
Old 01-16-2018, 7:29 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

I'm definitely going to pick up the Larsen, never seen something so recommended.