RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > Topic Specific Forums > Antennas and Associated Hardware > Scanner / Receiver Antennas

Scanner / Receiver Antennas For discussion of any type of receiving antenna used by a scanner or receiver base, mobile or handheld.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 05-02-2006, 11:41 PM
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider

Default Scantenna modification

I have an old Monitenna - Channel Master 5094 that has a broken bottom element. I was wondering if I should try to fix it or use the Scantenna that was just given to me. If I were to fix it, what would be the best way to rejoin the elements?

I would like to receive in the 46Mhz range and the 155Mhz range. I read somewhere that you can screw on extra length to make the Scantenna receive better for the public safety bands (46Mhz and 155Mhz). I was wondering if I took parts from the Monitenna and screwed them onto the Scantenna - would this work? If so, how much length would I have to add to the long and short elements to make this work?

Any suggestions?

Last edited by MB; 05-03-2006 at 9:11 AM..
Sponsored links
Old 05-03-2006, 7:39 PM
Completely Banned for the Greater Good
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Hi MB and all,

That depends on the material and construction, I have no idea without seeing it up close and personal or you give an accurate description.

Don't modify an antenna, you don't know better than the engineer who designed it. If you want something special, build it, that way you haven't ruined a perfectly good antenna.
Old 05-03-2006, 8:26 PM
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider

Well I ended up fixing the Monitenna by drilling two small holes and using small bolts to fix the bottom element back on. I now have it mounted at 30ft, and it seems to be working great.

I measured the Monitenna compared to the Scantenna. The Monitenna's measurments are around 61" (1/4 wave @ 46Mhz) for the large element and 18" (1/4 wave @ 155.550MHz) inches for the small element. This is the perfect length for VHF-hi and VHF-lo! The Scantenna's elemnets are to short.
Old 05-04-2006, 7:14 PM

I use a Scantenna at about 15 feet and have excellent coverage of VHF HI and LO. I even listen to SWL and the HF bands with it. Great antenna in my opinion.
Realistic DX-302 HF
Motorola GP300 VHF
Motorola GP300 UHF
Yaesu FT-2600M 2M Mobile
Ranger RCI-5054DX-100 6M All Mode
Icom IC-820H VHF/UHF SAT All Mode