Best aftermarket antennas for Uniden 436?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mobilman44

Hi,
I alluded to this question on my "newbie" thread but believe a separate thread will get more attention.

I have a Uniden 436, live in north Harris county, and will be doing the great majority of my scanning from my house, specifically a second floor room. As the majority of transmissions are generated at least 3 miles away, I'm thinking an aftermarket antenna will improve my reception.

On my Newbie thread, a Diamond RH77CA was recommended. Are there any other suggestions or is this my best bet?

Also, I'm thinking of installing an antenna (indoor) on the window sill as well. Any suggestions as to what would work?

While I would love to install an outdoor antenna, past experience (shocking & respect of lightening) won't allow this to happen.

Thanks all for your help!

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
Proper antenna selection begins with knowing what bands/frequencies you intend to monitor. While the Diamond is an excellent choice (have one myself), it's not a even a good choice for the 700-850MHz spectrum.

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
If you're using your scanner primarily as a base unit (sitting in one location in your house) then you may want to try a discone antenna such as https://www.amazon.com/Tram-1410-Discone-Scanner-Antenna/dp/B00QVPGKHU/ either on a tripod, or hanging from a ceiling hook via a length of nylon string. It will get better reception than any whip/duck attached directly to the scanner. Just make sure the ceiling hook (if you use one) is screwed into a stud, and not just drywall, so the antenna doesn't pull the hook out and fall down.

If you're carrying the scanner around with you, the RH77CA is one of the best all-around choices. If you're mainly listening to 700-800MHz, the Radio Shack / Remtronix 800MHz antenna will work slightly better than the RH77CA, but it is worse on VHF.

Status
Not open for further replies.