ID this mystery antenna?

Status
Not open for further replies.

K7MH

Premium Subscriber
I got this older scanner antenna with a bunch of other stuff a while back and was hoping someone could tell me what antenna it is. The three radials and the vertical element are 19 inches long. The two shorter vertical elements are 4.5 inches tall. The connector is for a PL-259. The lengths indicate it should be good for 150 and 450 MHz but the specs (if it can be identified) may tell me more about it.

I don't see any markings on it. They are probably worn off. I thought someone here may recognize it. I am not sure why is shows up sideways!

Attachments

• scannerant.jpg
    scannerant.jpg
    94.4 KB · Views: 508

K7MH

Premium Subscriber
Thanks! You win the cupie!
I don't need a lot of antenna for scanning but it would be nice to have an outside antenna. I use the Uniden BCT15X but using the attached antenna makes it difficult to put it where I want it on the shelf.
I also have a Cushcraft DCL antenna I can use but because of it's larger size it would be more difficult to mount. I'll see how it all goes!

dlwtrunked

Premium Subscriber
I don't need a lot of antenna for scanning but it would be nice to have an outside antenna. I use the Uniden BCT15X but using the attached antenna makes it difficult to put it where I want it on the shelf.
I also have a Cushcraft DCL antenna I can use but because of it's larger size it would be more difficult to mount. I'll see how it all goes!

I used many of those years ago. Initially, it just had one vertical whip and the 3 ground-plane rods. They later added the other two vertical elements at an angle to increase the bandwidth. I used to modify the length of the elements (make them short) for particular bands that interested me back then.

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber

Actually that antenna is not bad at all! Doesn't hurt to try it, you might be surprised, especially if you can get it outside and up a little bit. I used one hanging from the high ceiling in my home office for a long time.

ur20v

The Feds say my name hot like when the oven on
I use one of these antennas currently, and it's not a bad performer at all.

K7MH

Premium Subscriber
I don't have the mounting bracket for it so it is off to the hardware store to browse around for something that might work or I can modify to work.

I was looking at the Cushcraft DCL I also have and I am not impressed with its construction! They way they connect the hanging radials is really Mickey Mouse. I can see them working their way loose with the wind working against them.

ur20v

The Feds say my name hot like when the oven on
All you need is a piece of 2" x 2" (or 3" x 3") angle stock, a nut that fits the base of the antenna (if it's missing), and a couple of u-bolts the size of whatever mast you're using. Drill a hole on one side of the angle the size of the base of the antenna, and holes on the other side for the u-bolts.

Status
Not open for further replies.