High Gain VHF HI Antenna

Status
Not open for further replies.

wesct

MB said:
Does anyone know of a good high gain VHF HI antenna? I am looking for something 6dBd or greater and omni directional.

I would like to get a StationMaster, but can't seem to find any online. Does anyone know of a website to purchase the StationMaster or any other good high gain antennas?

What about this antenna?

http://www.new-tronics.com/main/html/base_g_series_g7_150.html

what frequency range do you need?

wesct

traumacop

Premium Subscriber

MB

Feed Provider
traumacop said:
Have you considered looking at Jetstream? It is a newer brand that is sold by R&L that seems to be a duplicate of the more expensive brands at half the price. I own two base antennas and love them both. If durability is what your looking for then I would stick with a single piece antenna like an Andrew Decibel.

http://www.jetstream-usa.com/
http://www.andrew.com/products/antennas/bsa/DB224-A.aspx

Darrin

Jetstream looks nice, but I don't see one for the frequency range I want.

kb5udf

Premium Subscriber
Suggestion

For monitoring VHF Hi, I like 6db gain marine antennas.
Cheap and effective, usually centered around 156.8 mhz, right in the middle of what
you want. I've gotten them for $30 on ebay.

But if you want wide range transmit, this is not the ticket.

KE7TJK

I use the Larsen NMO-150, and it is tuned right at the 153-155 mhz range.

I bought mine at the local radio shop about 12 years ago.

They are available at HRO for a very decent price.

Here is the link:

http://www.hamradio.com/

Click on the pull down menu looking for 'Larsen antennas', and look for the NMO-150.

MB

Feed Provider
CODE03 said:
I use the Larsen NMO-150, and it is tuned right at the 153-155 mhz range.

I bought mine at the local radio shop about 12 years ago.

They are available at HRO for a very decent price.

Here is the link:

http://www.hamradio.com/

Click on the pull down menu looking for 'Larsen antennas', and look for the NMO-150.

That is a mobile antenna, I am looking for a base antenna - 6db or greater.

MB

Feed Provider
kb5udf said:
For monitoring VHF Hi, I like 6db gain marine antennas.
Cheap and effective, usually centered around 156.8 mhz, right in the middle of what
you want. I've gotten them for $30 on ebay.

But if you want wide range transmit, this is not the ticket.

What brand names? Shakespeare?

wesct

Last edited:

ReceiverBeaver

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
I can also recommend the Spirit Series from Newtronics-Hustler. Definately can't go wrong with them. 6 db gain, very heavy duty repeater-grade construction and they have an amazing 10 mhz resonance bandwidth. Looks like the one you want is the[ HX6-15060 ] Covers 150~160mhz and resonant for transmitting strait through this range. I use their similar G6 144B for my 2 meter ham base antenna....awesome performance. Hustler's are available through Ham Radio Outlet.

MB

Feed Provider
ReceiverBeaver said:
I can also recommend the Spirit Series from Newtronics-Hustler. Definately can't go wrong with them. 6 db gain, very heavy duty repeater-grade construction and they have an amazing 10 mhz resonance bandwidth. Looks like the one you want is the[ HX6-15060 ] Covers 150~160mhz and resonant for transmitting strait through this range. I use their similar G6 144B for my 2 meter ham base antenna....awesome performance. Hustler's are available through Ham Radio Outlet.

Yeah the Spirit Series looks nice, but the cheapest I can find one for is $780.

What about the G Series from Newtronics-Hustler? I was looking at the G7-150-2 which has 7dBd of gain. It has 1 more dBd of gain and has a cheaper price tag. Granted, it may not be as rugged as the Spirit, but my environment isn't that harsh.

Any opinions on the G Series from Newtronics-Hustler, or their antennas in general?

VernM

You're looking for a scanner antenna, right? Any of the ham two meter beams will serve you. Nothing will likely give you the gain the advertisements say it is rated for, but you don't really need that either. This is a hobby, not a contest.

wesct

MB said:
Yeah the Spirit Series looks nice, but the cheapest I can find one for is $780.

What about the G Series from Newtronics-Hustler? I was looking at the G7-150-2 which has 7dBd of gain. It has 1 more dBd of gain and has a cheaper price tag. Granted, it may not be as rugged as the Spirit, but my environment isn't that harsh.

Any opinions on the G Series from Newtronics-Hustler, or their antennas in general?

i had one for my 220 mhz amateur repeater and it was ok. it seemed that an
austin dfq 3dbd antenna had better range than the hustler did but that was probably
because i had a hill to the east from me.

the thing i didnt like about the hustler was that the elements would fall in.

if the terrain is hilly, try something with less gain- worked for me.

You're looking for a scanner antenna, right? Any of the ham two meter beams will serve you. Nothing will likely give you the gain the advertisements say it is rated for, but you don't really need that either. This is a hobby, not a contest.

i am assuming you read the first post:

Does anyone know of a good high gain VHF HI antenna? I am looking for something 6dBd or greater and omni directional.

I would like to get a StationMaster, but can't seem to find any online. Does anyone know of a website to purchase the StationMaster or any other good high gain antennas?

wesct

MB

Feed Provider
VernM said:

Actually I would like a high gain commercial grade omnidirectional antenna that is tuned for the frequencies I want to listen to.

If I am going to spend the money I want to spend it on an antenna that is tuned for the frequency band I want (150 - 160MHz), not the two meter Ham band and not a beam antenna.

I am actually looking for the best I can get because the signals I am trying to monitor are mobile radio signals from a 50 mile radius in a very rural area with a lot of mountains and valleys, so any little bit will help.

And yes I do need the gain and I do realize this is a hobby. Why not have the best you can get (with the money you have), why settle for less?

Believe me I have been in this hobby for a long time and the little things (coax, preamps, antenna, connectors, filters, ect...) do make a big difference as far as reception goes.

MB

Feed Provider
wesct said:

i am assuming you read the first post:

wesct

apparently he didn't read the first post

Status
Not open for further replies.