Radio Tower ID

Status
Not open for further replies.

mjthomas59

I have a fairly large radio tower just behind my house and i was wondering if there is anyway of figuring out who owns it and what it is used for. I can see that there are several microwave antennas on it as well as some other straight antennas on the very top. The toweris probably 100-150 feet tall... i'm really not that good a judge, either way it is pretty massive.

Just curious if there is a website where i can type in the location of the tower and see who is using it. I'm thinking it may be a relay tower for the county sheriff but i'm not sure.

Thanks

SLWilson

Owner....

If the tower owner has followed the FCC regulations, somewhere visible near the base of the tower they should have the owner's name and a 24 hour emergency contact number to call.

There also should be a Tower registration Number posted as well. You can search the FCC database for the owner with that.

IF those are NOT visible and you know the approximate Lat/Lon of the tower, you can also search the FCC database for towers in the area of the Lat/Lon....

They "should" look something like in the pictures below..... ;)

Steve/Gallia 911

Attachments

• Tower Site.JPG
    Tower Site.JPG
    65.2 KB · Views: 2,773
  • Tower Site2.JPG
    Tower Site2.JPG
    45.3 KB · Views: 1,617
  • Tower Site 3.JPG
    Tower Site 3.JPG
    84.1 KB · Views: 1,657
Last edited:

NeFire242

Premium Subscriber
Of course they only have to register the tower if it exceeds the 200' level as per the FCC / FAA.

bassmkenk2508

try www.antennasearch.com

and when you search click on towers in the results.
that will be the owner of the tower.

browse the antennas results instead to see what agencies/companies rent space on the tower.
Federal and Military agencies wont be listed though

Last edited:

SLWilson

100'

NeFire242 said:
Of course they only have to register the tower if it exceeds the 200' level as per the FCC / FAA.

We were required to "fill out the paperwork" on all of our towers. None of which are over 100 feet in height.

We were issued a Antenna Structure Registration for each tower. On it, it lists an FAA number....

Site 27-03 shown above is only 185 feet in height.....

Steve

zz0468

QRT
Banned
NeFire242 said:

Not quite true. Any tower over 200' MUST be registered with the FCC and FAA, towers of a lesser height are subject to a rather complicated formula based on distance to an airport or heliport, vs the tower height. There are other factors that can come into play, also. I've seen 40 footers requiring registration, and 140 footers that do not.

n6rrj

antenna tower

Go to the County Websites to, The Property Tax, or Appraisal The exact address of at tower is not need just range of street numbers or in some cads just the street it will give you all the names of owners 73s N6RRJ

gcgrotz

SLWilson said:
We were required to "fill out the paperwork" on all of our towers. None of which are over 100 feet in height.

We were issued a Antenna Structure Registration for each tower. On it, it lists an FAA number....

Site 27-03 shown above is only 185 feet in height.....

Steve

I agree with you Steve. I was a network manager at the time and our legal dept said ALL structures had to be registered. If it had a license it had to be registered.

The search function on the FCC tower registration page is Sweet. You can find out all kinds of stuff about who's on the air in your community.

Status
Not open for further replies.