Scanner Antenna help

Status
Not open for further replies.

FCVPI99

i have a Pro 2055 (stock ant.) and a Pro 96 (800MHZ ant from RS) and soon a PSR-500 i live in elgin and kinda in "the hole" that its hard to hear stuff i get elgin just fine but NWCD analog is in an out NWCD P25 wont come in at all.

i remember seeing a BNC handheld ant. that was like 24 inches long but i cant find it now if anybody knows what im tlking about please post link

also what would be a good ant that i can put on my 2nd floor deck on a 5-10 foot mast
id like to share same ant for all the radios. IE just split them with BNC spliters

FCVPI99

yes thats that the ant. for the hand held

now anyone got an idiea of a good base ant thats not to much $$$$$$

ka5lqj

J-pole, Yagi, Groundplane?

Brian, All,

The "antenna" you want is a matter of taste. If most of the signals you wish to receive are in a certain direction and no other, then a Yagi-Uda (the REAL name of a yagi) or "beam" antenna is what you want. You can buy these antennas through reputable antenna dealers or amateur radio supply stores. As before, it depends on the frequency you wish to monitor. If it's 800 mhz trunked, the antenna elements (both sides) will be about 6" in length. LTR (400 mhz-trunked) are about 12" long, total and hi-band FM (150-174mhz) will be about 38" long.

Since most of your monitoring, I'm sure, will be in the 800-900 mhz range, you can "Google" to find what you are LQ^QKing for. You won't need "power dividers" or such, as they are used to transmit.

A good, all-around antenna is a "J-pole". Again, GOOGLE is your friend, and there are plenty of plans to build one on the I-net and some are sold by major antenna manufacturers.

A good "groundplane" is another omni-directional antenna and can be made from a UHF, SO-239 female jack. This, as well as the "J-pole" needs to be as high as possible, as they are low-angle receiving antennas (ie. long distance)

The ground plane is very simple to build using an SO-239 UHF socket, some 4/40 hardware, soldering lugs and some #14 guage, solid, insulated wire, although a wire coathanger works well.

I have plans for a "Double-grounded ground plane, which drops the "take-off" angle from the normal 18 degrees to 5 degrees over the horizon. This gives you a greater range distance, but is omni-directional. It picks up signals from all-@round, sometimes not such a good thing. I don't build them to sell them and postal cost being what they are and the lousy service, I can send you a file (no drawings) on how to make one.

My e-mail address is: KA5(dot)LQJ(@)gmail(dot)com <--remove and place the appropiate symbols...used to prevent SPAM, and NOT the "Mystery meat", LOL! SPAM - *Stuff* Posing As Meat...The Society for the Preservation of Amplitude Modulation.

Respectfull submitted,

Don/KA5-LQJ

Grid Sq: EM-32cl
"Downtown Cedar Grove, LA."

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
That file would be most welcome on the Wiki, Don. If you need help getting it up there, send me an email at ka3jjz@netscape.com and we'll see what we can do. It's certainly possible others might be interested, too 73s Mike

FCVPI99

what is the best way to use mulit ant. ??

i scan trunked and VHF mostly

i wana build a 860.0000 MHz j pole
and a 155.0000 jpole

do u just use a BNC T to connect the 2 ant. or do i need a special something between them???

also how far apart do they have to be??

FCVPI99

also
for a 860 MHz jpole is says

Long Section is 9 13/16
Short Section is 3 1/4
Feed Point 0 3/8
Spacing is 0 3/8 (with a tee and a 90 you cant do that it will be more will that mess up anything to bad?? IE will it not Receive right???)

and for 155.
Long Section 54 5/8
Short Section 18 1/8
Feed point 1 13/16
Spacing 1 11/16

Status
Not open for further replies.