Pryme RD-78 for Airband?

Status
Not open for further replies.

N467RX

Panama DB Admin
Database Admin
I'm considering to buy a good Airband antenna, I'm pretty limited to what is in stock here in Panama. I just passed by a radio store (the Icom official dealer) and they had the Pryme RD-78. They also sell some Icom branded antennas, but none of them is for Airband (they are 144Mhz antennas).

Is the RD-78 good for Airband and 136-174Mhz? What about other antennas that are for 144Mhz?

Air490

I can't comment directly on the RD-78, but the link below will take you to a good evaluation of that antenna.

As to using VHF ham antennas for airband, my experience has been mixed. Some antennas are really good, some are terrible. It seems to be the longer the antenna the better the result, but again that is not always true. The best non-airband antenna I have come across is the Maldol AS-30 (it is SMA).

I hope that is some help to you.

http://www.strongsignals.net/access...pe=display&rtype=rev&class=ant&num=003#080799

Last edited:

BigJimbo

Premium Subscriber
Check out the Maldol AL-500H. It is BNC and is specifically for VHF and UHF air bands. I bought one at the Dayton Hamvention this year and it performs very well. It was $41.00.

n2mdk

Since your limited to what you can get where you are and looking at the fact that the Pryme performs equally to my favorite RH77CA I would say go with that.

Status
Not open for further replies.