Portable antenna

Status
Not open for further replies.

downsrep

Anyone know of a good antenna to use with a Pro-96? I bought the telescoping antenna but can't really tell a big difference from the standard one that comes with it. I live in a townhouse so installing an outdoor one is really not an option for me. Is there one indoors that can be used easily with the Pro-96 that works great?

svrstorm

Try a amplified Set top tv antenna. I got a radioshack brand and it works wonderfully.
I got the F female to BNC male adapter its almost like having an outdoor antenna.

blueangel-eric

Feed Provider
i just use small base antennas in my bedroom. 2 dipoles (one for scanner the other for 2meter ht in the bedroom) and 1 dual band Jpole (for 2meter base) i just use camera tripods to mount them on. and a stand made out of PVC for the jpole
here's one of my homebuilt dipoles. http://picasaweb.google.com/soaked.jeans/RadiosAndAntennas/photo#5052709236018998338

there's plenty of options for small base antennas that can be mounted indoors. or look at this one if you listen to trains, I haven't tried it though
http://www.dpdproductions.com/page_traintenna.html#ttblade

or this one if you got enough room. stick it next to the wall out of the way. http://www.dpdproductions.com/page_scanner.html#omnix
i once thought about it. it looks flat sided. my apartment is very small but i manage to have 3 base antennas though taking up more room then i'd like but hey i got to have antennas!!!!

Last edited:

Taloniilm

I was thinking with the BNC connector it would lend itself to several different antennas based on what the user wanted to monitor. ie. RS 800/ RH77CA etc. I like the "portability/ non-permanent" aspect which in my mind yields itself to great flexiblity.

Northe

svrstorm said:
Try a amplified Set top tv antenna. I got a radioshack brand and it works wonderfully.
I got the F female to BNC male adapter its almost like having an outdoor antenna.

Somewhere I read a suggestion to try an amplified TV antenna, and I happened to have one in the shop -- an RCA model with separate controls for UHF and VHF gain. The results here are very inconsistent. I get interference from TV stations on some of the VHF aero frequencies and sometimes switching back and forth with my indoor vertical dipole, the dipole receives better. On the other hand, I hear some VHF signals and an 800 MHz trunking system on the TV antenna. I still need to "twiddle" with positioning the VHF rods and pointing the UHF disk.

Northe
N6KO
Green Valley AZ

Big_Ears

Can you install an antenna in your attic space? It may be a good location just as long as you don't have a metal type Decro-Tile roof.

downsrep

Thanks for the suggestions. I did go out and buy a Radio Shack 800 mhz portable one for it. I noticed I pick up some 800 mhz frequencies better than before and some I could never pick up. I'll have to try the other ones too.

Raven95150

Premium Subscriber
The RS telescoping antenna actually works quite well for 800 mhz (although not quite as good as the RS 800) as long as you tune it right. Did you read the instructions that came with it? If I remember correctly, for 800 mhz you extend the lower 3 sections but leave the top 3 sections collapsed so the coil is at the top of the antenna.

downsrep

Yeah I probably just blew $21 for no reason on the RS 800 mhz, but I didn't think the telescoping one did a good enough job. It's hard to tell, but I know it does better on the lower frequencies. Now I have several antennas (and scanners) to choose from!

downsrep

I bought the VHF/UHF scanner antenna from Radio Shack. Very simple to put together and I have it inside my house. First time I turned it on I picked up a frequency over 30 miles away! It's not mounted now, I just move it around the house from floor to floor, but I intend to install a mast on my back deck (I can't affix anything to the side or roof of the townhouse I live in due to association rules). Good so far!

hoser147

You can usually find a 800 Yagi on ebay fairly cheap. Ive got one, used it in the camper this summer while doing shows just put it on a piece of pipe and pointed it in the direction of the nearest tower. I paid 4 bucks for it on ebay with about 200ft of coax cost me 20 in shippin but was worth it............Hoser

Status
Not open for further replies.