Newbie Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

BOBRR

Hello,

Fairly new at this scanning hobby, although have been a sw listener for a long time.
Will be buying a handheld soon, probably a GRE 500, and have the following questions, please:

a. These new scanners have freq. coverages down to around 25 MHz or so.
For the life of me, I just can't understand how the supplied quite short antenna they supply with handhelds can receive anything around 25 MHz. I imagine they do, as the antenna comes with the unit, and the unit itself has freq. coverage that low.

I would think that the antenna, below perhaps 50 MHz or so would be totally deaf. I don't mean really-poor, I mean deaf.
Obviously, I am missing something. What ?

How does it possibly work (at all) below 50MHz, being so short ?

b. I've read many of the suggested after marrket antennas.
I realize that longer is better, and that the ones tuned to a particular band or two are much better than the so called all-band ones.

Of all the ones suggested, and with your own experiences, is there one in particular that you would recommend with the following criteria:

I really don't want to switch them, and want only a single antenna.
I want to be able to listen most anywhere over the unit's freq. capabilities.

- no more than a foot in length
- truly all band performance, 25 MHz to perhaps 1.2 GHz, realizing a whole bunch of compromises and "not so great" performance at the extremes.

Thanks,
B.

fuzzymoto

Premium Subscriber
I think most people here will agree that the stock antenna on most scanners can be pretty worthless. Personally I use all outdoor antenna, but when I do travel with my BR330T I found the stock antenna worthless on all bands. It did just OK in VHF but that was it. I did recently add a Diamond RH77CA that I use on vacation and I found it to be much better all around. I haven't tried ot use it on much in the 50Mhz range but I think you'll find it is a popular handheld antenna. I don't have it around to measure but it seems to me it was around 14-inches. You can try a telescopic antenna and adjust the length as needed, but I haven't had much luck (or convenience) with that. For me once I plugged an outfoor/base antenna into my scanners (handheld included) I got so spoiled that every normal handheld antenna came up short.

Status
Not open for further replies.