Deaf Grove Scanner Beam

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ghost4658

The beams are total deaf on 150 -174Mhz range.
Works fine on 800Mhz trunk and 460Mhz
Tried on PRO96 PRO97 PRO2055.
10ft off ground 20ft 46ft.
rg62, rg6, rg59 coax.

Bucko

You maybe experiencing de-sensing for all three of those scanners you mentioned do this on high band, I know for I have them myself and have the same problem. If there is strong transmitter in your general area your high band will be deaf.

jmays

For several years I tried using a scanner beam, scantenna, and discone at both a city residence and country residence. All three were mounted on the same tower at the same time and I could switch between them to compare sensitivity. I was never really happy with the beam and eventually have settled on two scantennas mounted at 80' for my base antennas. I have now retired permanently to the country residence and use a 785D and 996T as base scanners. Hope this helps.

brandon

Database Admin
PRO-96/PRO-97 etc are not ideal scanners to use with external antennas for VHF reception. I know mine overload so easily they only work on VHF if using PAR filters. Try turning the ATT on and see if things improve.

blueangel-eric

Feed Provider
brandon said:
PRO-96/PRO-97 etc are not ideal scanners to use with external antennas for VHF reception. I know mine overload so easily they only work on VHF if using PAR filters. Try turning the ATT on and see if things improve.

I'm going with a ham radio as i'm tired of the Pro97 desensing and becoming deaf on VHF too!!! I can't even use it on a simple 1/4 mobile antenna or even a flexible whip antenna. They say a radio is only as good as it's antenna but these days with poor quality scanners the antenna is only as good as the radio.

Eric Burris

trooperdude

Database Admin
blueangel-eric said:
I'm going with a ham radio as i'm tired of the Pro97 desensing and becoming deaf on VHF too!!!

Ham front ends aren't much better than scanners.

You need a commercial radio for VHF.

I've been really happy with my Spectras.

jerseymilair

Just my two cents here. I had owned a Grove Scanner Beam for several years prior to selling my house. I had it pointed in the direction of Atlantic City. I was approx. 45 miles to the north. I can say I've had very positive results with that antenna on VHF. I did have it on a shack 19' mast on top of a 12' high shed. I was able to hear the security at that time on the ground on VHF. I would recommend that antenna to anybody.
Steve

Ghost4658

Desensing we thank is the problem.
Bob from Grove where I got the ant is working with me to find the problem.
I think the people at Grove are #1 on support!

gcgrotz

Get Bob to explain what de-sensing actually is. If the only tower is a 3 mile distant cell tower, I doubt that is the problem. A 1000 watt NOAA weather transmitter in the next block might cause de-sense.

Have you tried the scanner on some other antenna to be sure it is working ok?

Status
Not open for further replies.