Antenna Recommendation for Yaesu 7800R

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ch1ronTL34

Hey I was wondering if anyone uses a Yaesu 7800 R in their car. If so, what antenna do you use?

Thanks

kc8zdf

Hi, I use a Comet SBB 5 nmo 2meter 3db gain/ 440 5.5db gain. So far I have had this antenna for 1 year and works great.

Flatshovel

I use the Larson NMO 2/70 antenna. Works great for me, I have it mounted on a Pickup. I really like the antenna. I have had the antenna for about 3 years now with no issues. I was trying to build a decent VHF/UHF antenna, but I think i am going to just go ahead and buy another Larson for the spare truck and just go with it.

Take care,
Joey

mfuller1950

I would recommend the Larsen NMO 2/70B antenna. Good SWR on both the 2 meter and 440 site. Approx height 36 in. Good and heavy duty.

tmfok7

If by chance, you are going to mount it on the roof and clearance is an issue, the Comet SBB-2 is a great antenna! 2.15 DBi on 2M/3.8 DBi on 70cm and only 18 inches long, it saved me from having to take it off everytime I entered the garage with with my SUV. I had this one and a SBB-5 and in a lot of cases, the SBB-2 out performed! Otherwise, what the other gentlemen have said; the Larsen is a great antenna and you won't go wrong!

Last edited:

Ch1ronTL34

My car is a 2000 Ford Crown Victoria P71 that already has 2 holes drilled into the trunk but sealed with rubber plugs. I currently have one of these antennas

http://cgi.ebay.com/P71-Police-Inte...ryZ53107QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

on the trunk right now that I use for my P96. I read that I should keep my ham radio antenna as far away from any other antennas. Is this correct? Would the UHF antenna adversely affect a Larsen NMO 2/70B antenna if i mounted them both on the trunk? Also, if I were to buy the Larsen NMO 2/70B from universal-radio.com, could I unscrew my UHF antenna and simply screw the Larsen one onto the mount that's already there?

Thanks!

djeplett

I have heard of receiver front ends being damaged because of high powered transmitters in close proximity, so you may have a problem if they are too close. If memory serves, the rule of thumb is at least one wavelength apart. Which for VHF is about 36 inches. How far apart are the holes now?

I know of one ham who is a state patrol officer who damaged one of his radios when he transmitted with his mobile which is 110 watts.

Ch1ronTL34

The holes are about 33" apart right now. Would you think that's still too close or is it close enough to 36"? Thanks again!

djeplett

While I am not an RF engineer by far, I would *guess* you should be OK.

I have a Diamond X50NA mounted on top of a 5' mast on my roof with a Radio Shack 20-176 mounted 2 feet below and on about a 2 foot arm to the side and all I ever get is desense on my PRO97 when I transmit with my 7800. But then again, it's not in the same plane and I don't often use full power.

Another reason why you don't want them too close is they will interact with eachother & produce skewed radiation patterns.

Last edited:

djeplett

Ch1ronTL34 said:
Also, if I were to buy the Larsen NMO 2/70B from universal-radio.com, could I unscrew my UHF antenna and simply screw the Larsen one onto the mount that's already there?
If it's an NMO mount I don't see why you couldn't.
Ch1ronTL34 said:
Would the NMO TLP be the one I should get?
Only if you don't plan on using one of the two that are already there. If I understand you correctly, you have two NMO mounts in the trunklid that are about 33" apart right now.

Ch1ronTL34

There are currently 2 holes that have been drilled into my trunk. One of the holes has my scanner antenna and the other one is sealed with this rubber plug. I plan on removing the rubber plug and installing the Larsen 2/70B antenna into that hole.

djeplett

Oh, I see. Then all you need is the NMO-K. You would use the TLP if you wanted to mount the antenna on the trunk lip. The NMO-K needs a .75 inch hole.

Keep in mind you'll also need to solder or crimp on the PL259 because it's listed as "shipped loose".

Status
Not open for further replies.