Compression Tool Help

Status
Not open for further replies.

asamon

I apologize if this is the wrong forum to ask this question, but here it is anyhow. I am new to working with radios, but am charged with installing and maintaining motorola 2way radios at my place of employment. I frequently need to terminate rg-58 coax with mini-uhf connectors to attach antennas to our mobile radios. Jamming the connector into the coax has proved rather challenging. I see multiple compression tools to do this for rg-59, rg-6 type cables, but not rg-58. Is there a compression tool out there that does what I want? Or is there some trick that I need to be schooled on? I hope someone can help! Thanks alot!!!

Sincerely,

Andy

gmclam

Premium Subscriber
I'd contact the manufacturer (or distributor) of the specific connectors you are installing and ask them.

FLATGUNPHIL

As far as I know, there is no compression-type tool that works on mini-u's. Since all I see in my catalogs are F-type, BNC, or RCA, I think you will need to use the crimp-style.

Mini-u?? WHY

Phil KK6PE

fineshot1

asamon said:
I apologize if this is the wrong forum to ask this question, but here it is anyhow. I am new to working with radios, but am charged with installing and maintaining motorola 2way radios at my place of employment. I frequently need to terminate rg-58 coax with mini-uhf connectors to attach antennas to our mobile radios. Jamming the connector into the coax has proved rather challenging. I see multiple compression tools to do this for rg-59, rg-6 type cables, but not rg-58. Is there a compression tool out there that does what I want? Or is there some trick that I need to be schooled on? I hope someone can help! Thanks alot!!!

Sincerely,

Andy

Andy - this is what I use and what you need. Buy a set instead of the individual parts and its cheaper in the long run. The 4005-01 die is what will crimp the mini-uhf connector on an RG-58 cable. The RFA 4005-020 crimp tool is really one of many types. Scan ebay for a larger selection as you can probaly find a great set deal there.

http://www.wiscointl.com/RFIndustries/tools/rfa4006.htm

EDIT: The above web site I posted is just for viewing purposes so you can see what I am talking about. You can make the purchase at many different web sites and ebay.

Last edited:

key2_altfire

I work for a company that makes RF amplifiers. Instead of stripping the coax, the production crew here has a hand tool that "cores out" the insulating layers from within the cable while simultaneously stripping the outer layer. Since we build a lot of products for Uncle Sam, they have to pass a strict visual inspection, and gov't inspectors don't accept "traumatized" coax cable assemblies. The core-out tool makes a nice looking and very stable connection with no fighting with connectors. They get 'em from Techni-Tool.

Status
Not open for further replies.