Best 800 mhz trunked antenna

Status
Not open for further replies.

bownasterm

What would be the best 800mhz range antenna for picking up a system that is a good distance from my house (probably 10-12mi)

brandon

Database Admin
I use an Antenex FG8246 (824-896 6DB omni) purchased from RadioOutfitter.com
It's about a 100 dollars but I think it is worth the extra cost for a dedicated antenna on that band.

bownasterm

Also if i have a long cable between the antenna and that will probably cause some signal degradation right? will an amplifier fix that?

hoser147

That depends on the cable loss and the antenna gain. Any ideas as to what you are thinking of using? IE What type of Coax and the antenna you have in mind. What kind of system are you wanting to monitor? Hoser

bownasterm

Well i have an out door antenna currently with about 24 feet of coax between the antenna and my scanner the antenna is not actually outdoors right now its up next to a window on the second floor of my house

the systems im monitoring are motorola and edacs trunking systems in the 800mhz range which im having troulble picking up anything that is beyond 5 miles around here

Last edited:

Dubbin

Feed Provider
brandon said:
It's about a 100 dollars but I think it is worth the extra cost for a dedicated antenna on that band.

LOL scannerripoff, umm I mean scannermaster sells it for 186.95...

jcecklund

bownasterm said:
Well i have an out door antenna currently with about 24 feet of coax between the antenna and my scanner the antenna is not actually outdoors right now its up next to a window on the second floor of my house

the systems im monitoring are motorola and edacs trunking systems in the 800mhz range which im having troulble picking up anything that is beyond 5 miles around here

I had the exact same problem, I attached a ground wire to from the antenna and grounded it to a copper water pipe, the scanner imediately started singing away, I was pulling in signals as far as 40 miles, just make sure you have good coax cable.

Just my two cents and experience.

benjaminarthurt

Premium Subscriber
It's been my experience that antenna is just down right awful for 800Mhz, VHF UHF Ham and Public safety, Air, and weather bands all worked fantastic on that.

Do you know what type of coax you are using, TV coax at 75 ohms or communications coax at 50 ohms?

Using the RS 800mhz rubber duck inside attached to the back of my scanner worked better than that antenna outdoors (boy was I glad when the tree knocked it down).

hoser147

I got the same antenna and really dont care for it one the 800 side. I found a cushcraft 800 mhz for 800 on ebay for around 5 bucks. It does great. Its a directional antenna however Im right between 3 towers all about an equal distance away and get great reception from all 3. Hope this helps....................Hoser

bownasterm

I have about 20 feet of RG58A/U cable the 800mhz duck sticking out the window did improve the sound on the systems that i already can hear but the farther off ones were still choppy

Do you think if i got a pole or something and attached the sputnik to it and stuck that high up out the window it would bring all of the systems in better?

trooperdude

Database Admin
bownasterm said:
I have about 20 feet of RG58A/U cable the 800mhz duck sticking out the window did improve the sound on the systems that i already can hear but the farther off ones were still choppy

Do you think if i got a pole or something and attached the sputnik to it and stuck that high up out the window it would bring all of the systems in better?

Wow, you have two BIG negatives going for you on this setup.

The RG58A/U is not suitable for 800mhz, even at 20 ft, and the rubber duck

The sputnik isn't very good on 800mhz. Especially if you use the same type of cable but
it would be a huge improvement over the rubber duck IF you replace the cable with
something decent.

trooperdude

Database Admin
brandon said:
I use an Antenex FG8246 (824-896 6DB omni) purchased from RadioOutfitter.com

I use the same antenna and never paid more than $29 for a new one off of Ebay.

K4DHR

Or go with the Larsen NMO5T900B for $20 from Radio Outfitter. Works great on an 800 MHz system provided you're not trying to transmit!

jonny290

The absolute best you can afford.

Given the choice between a $30 antenna fed through $120 of feedline or the $120 antenna fed with $30 of feedline, I'll pick the feedline any day.

LMR-400 is the hobbyist standard for 800 systems, I think it's safe to say.

trooperdude

Database Admin
bownasterm said:
What cable would you recommend for 800mhz?

LMR400 at a minimum.

I use LDF400, which is 1/2 inch hardline, but that's a bit extreme for most hobbyists.

Get the best you can afford and avoid radio shack at all costs.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.