antenna height

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don_Burke

Yes

Once you have achieved line of sight with the transmitting antenna, feedline losses associated with additional height will reduce the avaiable signal.

At extreme heights, it is pretty easy to put your pattern above the transmitting antenna patterns.

godskidz said:
Hello to you all.
Is it possible to have your outside antenna too high ?
Thanks as always.
GOD BLESS

n4yek

Just a bit of humor:
When airplanes start smacking it, then its too high.
(sorry, i giggled a little when I read your question. Don and hoser have appropriate responces) :)

key2_altfire

Generically speaking, in my locality: 75 feet above ground level or 20 feet above highest point of building.

N1SQB

Premium Subscriber
Howdy!
You have to take into consideration a few simple things. First, how high above sea level is your home? In my case for example, my home is 435 FT. above sea level at ground. That means, If I put a 10 ft mast on my roof ( Raised Ranch) then that would make my height 475 FT above sea level. Thats Awsome for monitoring. Now, the second thing is cable run. Even with the best of cable, I prefer Belden 9913 myself,after about 100ft, I dont care what you are running, the DB losses start to add up. The last thing,probably the most important, is grounding. I dont care how good the cable or the antenna, lightning does not discriminate. 6-8Ft ground rod with a solid gage wire will save you from a lot of headaches.

Manny

Raven95150

Premium Subscriber
Before putting up any antenna of considerble height, make sure to check your local laws. Most cities/counties have some type of laws regarding the height of structures, including antennas and towers. These laws will be quite strict if you live near an airport. Also, if you are putting up a tower, some cities may reqiure some type of permit to do so.

k9rzz

godskidz said:
Hello to you all.
Is it possible to have your outside antenna too high ?
Thanks as always.
GOD BLESS

My answer: NO!

783.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.