newbie question

Status
Not open for further replies.

emd001

Hello all, Its almost Christmas which means when your 19 like myself its time for a bonus from work, Christmas money, my birthday money, and my tax return. I am going to buy my first ham radio for Christmas and i am needing to find a good antenna for it and my scanner to mount on my truck. Some details: Radio is probably going to be a YAESU FT-7800R. My scanner is probably gonna be a radioshack pro-2096 (though i may spring for the Uniden BCD996T). I already have dual cb antennas on my tool box so i am wanting to mount these antennas on the roof and drilling holes is not a problem with me. So if yall could please advise of good antennas for these items and where to get them or advice for these items that would be greatly appreciated as well is your time and friendliness. Thanks guys and gals.

-Eric

mlconnell

Good radio Yaesu FT-7800R... I have one myself. I also have the BCD996T. Great Radios.
Eric I am just running a Dual Band MAG mount on my car as my wife would not have me drilling in the VW Golf. It's probably not that good at DB Gain however it works all the local repeaters ok. I got it for $39.00 years ago at I believe the Ham store in San Antonio where I lived at the time. Look at your local HAM Shack if you have one or try http://www.hamradio.com/
Also http://www.qrz.com is a great place for hams as well and even has a swap section to buy and sell ham and radio goods. As for the scanner antenna I have not actually bought one yet and just us a 800 Mhz antenna I had from a Standard 800 mhz trunking transceiver a while back but I'm sure someone on here can suggest a good one. Hey congrats on the funds you are getting and I hope you get some good stuff with it.
Happy Scanning.... try looking up the HAM RADIO Call signs on QRZ.COM if you have not already.

73 KC5VVL

Michael

Last edited:

kc8zdf

I also agree the 7800 is awsome. Best duel band radio I have ever own. I use a comet sbb-5 nmo on my roof of my truck. Of course nmo mounted. I bought nmo mounts at dayton last year and solder up some rg8x. I have had great performace with this setup. From my location in michigan I have able to be mobile and hit repeater 30 miles away all the time. When the bands are open further. You can find the comet sbb-5 on hamradio.com or comets website. There are lots of sites out there. But I like to stick to the r & L or other real venders. I don't like purchasing so much from off brand companies cause you just never know. I also like a website called hamcity.com. They usally have cheaper prices on everthing from radios to antenna to whatever. However check around cause for a few more dollars you can get a free sepration kit if the deal is offerd. I use a pro-2096 in my truck. I the scanner about 2 years ago before the new seriers of gre's came out. The pro-2096 works great in my area as we don't have 700mhz trucking or other things that the pro=2096 can't handel. I also have a full console mounted in my truck. Thats pretty much my setup and works the best in my area. I stat that it works best in my area cause as we all know some one else may have the same setup and be in a city with tall building and may not work as well. So make sure you do some antenna testing after you get all setup. If you want to look at my console look my call sign up on qrz.com. I have a pic there.
Happy scanning.

Status
Not open for further replies.