Scantenna to BR330T

Status
Not open for further replies.

gregma

Ok, so the Scantenna converts and comes into the house as a "Type F Connector". The BR330T has an SMA connector. I have had a heck of a time finding a "Type F Connector" to SMA connector. Does such a beast exist? I was hoping to pick one up at RadShack but it looks as if they don't carry such a beast. Was hoping I wouldn't have to wait another week to hook up my new Scantenna while waiting for an adapter to come in the mail. I guess I *could* go F-BNC, then BNC-SMA, but that's a lot hanging on the top of the scanner!

Advice welcome,
Greg

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
gregma said:
Ok, so the Scantenna converts and comes into the house as a "Type F Connector". The BR330T has an SMA connector. I have had a heck of a time finding a "Type F Connector" to SMA connector. Does such a beast exist? I was hoping to pick one up at RadShack but it looks as if they don't carry such a beast. Was hoping I wouldn't have to wait another week to hook up my new Scantenna while waiting for an adapter to come in the mail. I guess I *could* go F-BNC, then BNC-SMA, but that's a lot hanging on the top of the scanner!

Advice welcome,
Greg
Depending on where you buy your ScanTenna, it generally comes with 50ft of RG6 cable with 'F' connectors to match the antenna. Dealers such as Grove & Universal Radio supply an 'F' to BNC adapter to adapt the scanner end to BNC. Use the BNC to SMA adapter that came with the BR330Tto finish out the connection. I did not see a direct F->SMA conversion listed here, but they seem to have a good selection. Might try calling or emailing.

SLWilson

Believe it or not....

I got mine at Radio Shack....

Steve/KB8FAR :wink:

SLWilson

On the rack...

W4KRR said:
Radio Shack has an F female to SMA male adapter??? What's the part number?
It was just on the rack. I never got a part number at the time. Never paid any attention, I just started going through the rack until I found what I needed. It was dusty, like it had been there a long time though. I got the last one they had here at our store...

Steve

gregma

hiegtx said:
Depending on where you buy your ScanTenna, it generally comes with 50ft of RG6 cable with 'F' connectors to match the antenna. Dealers such as Grove & Universal Radio supply an 'F' to BNC adapter to adapt the scanner end to BNC. Use the BNC to SMA adapter that came with the BR330Tto finish out the connection. I did not see a direct F->SMA conversion listed here, but they seem to have a good selection. Might try calling or emailing.

That'll have to do for now, I'm just worried adding another 1.5 inches of heavy metal to the top of the scanner. I don't know how sturdy the SMA female connector is on the scanner and whether that much weight along with the RG6 coax will cause it to fail and crack around the plastic. I'll just have to be real careful with it until I can get a single adapter, and perhaps even a right angle one (I know, I'm asking WAY too much).

Thanks!
Greg

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
gregma said:
That'll have to do for now, I'm just worried adding another 1.5 inches of heavy metal to the top of the scanner. I don't know how sturdy the SMA female connector is on the scanner and whether that much weight along with the RG6 coax will cause it to fail and crack around the plastic. I'll just have to be real careful with it until I can get a single adapter, and perhaps even a right angle one (I know, I'm asking WAY too much).

Thanks!
Greg
Or, you can do what I did. On my ScanTenna, I cut the F connector off, & just used a BNC connector that fit the cable, so then I can use the antenna with the 396 or 330 (using the BNC to SMA adapter), or any other scanner that I own that has a BNC connector (780, 996, etc).

fuzzymoto

Premium Subscriber
I have the exact setup you describe (BR330T & ST2/Scantenna). I use a BNC 90-degree to make the connection easier. I have an F to BNC adapter, a BNC 90-degree and the Uniden factory BNC to SMA adapter. Works great. I'm sure there's amore direct way to do it, but depending on what you monitor it will probably make little difference.

SLWilson

Call...

gregma said:
Except they do not have an SMA Male to F Female. :(
With everything they have, it might not be posted/listed. I'd try to call them and check....

Steve/KB8FAR

Status
Not open for further replies.