Discone Antenna Install

Status
Not open for further replies.
B

BNN987

How do I install the antennas on the diamond discone properly so that they don't fall out? I have them in but they fall out very easily. Is there any particular way that you have to put them in? I'm scared once I put it up on the roof that it will start falling off with windows and weather etc.

key2_altfire

Mine came with little hex nuts as Hoser said. Even with the nuts I felt the antenna assembly was a little shaky. I didn't exactly want to pull it down from the roof again if I noticed a piece missing so after assembly I put a drop of GREEN Loc-Tite on each nut, then checked that the electrical connection was still sound with the DVOM. Been three years now and still good.

hoser147

The Locktight works good. I used the Blue as for it is more for being able to tear down the antenna or whatever, the green or red as they can make things more permanent and hard to take apart. If you dont have the half hex nuts you should be able to get them at a local hardware to lock the radial in place same with the set screws (allen head) Be sure to use Stainless steel. Good Luck and Good Scannin Hoser

Last edited:

jonny290

Borrow an old bottle of the lady's fingernail polish and dab on each joint after you screw in. It's strong enough that wind and random vibration won't break it loose, but if you need to disassemble it'll break free no problem.

C

comsec1

kreco discones

I have several kreco discones, they are probably one of the best commercially available discones that I have seen. I think they have a web site just google kreco antennas.
all the elements are about 3/8" diameter and screw into the body.

B

BNN987

Thanks guys, the discone is up on the roof working great now.

Halfpint

Slightly NE of the People's Republic of Firestone
jonny290 said:
Borrow an old bottle of the lady's fingernail polish and dab on each joint after you screw in. It's strong enough that wind and random vibration won't break it loose, but if you need to disassemble it'll break free no problem.
Hmmmmm... Maybe if you want to lock down trimmers and such but, for something that has to be out in the weather and subject to assorted stresses and the like the products from "LockTite" and the other like companies are a much better source. "The Poor Man's `loctite'" (IE: fingernail polish) just really does not hold up all that well though one *may* get lucky now and then.

When I was running my repair shop we used to use fingernail polish more as a way of determining if a custome had gone inside and `tweaked' when we had told that doing so would void the warranty on the repair more than as a `lock' on any adjustments we'd done. When we actually needed to assure that an adjustment wouldn't `slip', `rattle', or otherwise end up `out of spec' we used to use a commercial `glyptal' type product that actually was slightly `rubbery' and would resist the movements that would usually cause the problem and still also let us `re-tweak' things if needed later on without endangering delicate `slugs' or other parts of the adjustable device. For something antenna radials and other elements, case and mounting screws, and other similar fastenings / fastener we would pretty much stick with the `loctite' type method. Never let us down.

Just an `Olde Fart's' 2¢ worth. YMMV {CHORTLE!}

Status
Not open for further replies.