DIRECTIONAL ANTENNA for TV Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jono40141

I have a directional antenna that I installed a few years ago on top of my roof. I don't really use it anymore for the TV and it should work. If i plug in my PSR-500 to it getting an adapter will this make a difference? I think it was UHF, VHF, FM. I know theoretically it should work.
Thank you!

W5JLF

Premium Subscriber
If it is a TV antenna it is a horizontal polarized antenna. The frequencies you want to receive are generally vertical polarized signals. You will need to figure out how to turn the antenna from horizontal to vertical. It should work but it will be very directional. To use it effectively you will need to put it on an antenna rotor so it can be turned toward the services you want to monitor.

Joe, KK5JLF

Don_Burke

There are several things you need to think about.

- The horizontal antenna will not be all that efficient at picking up the vertically polarized signals.

- The TV antenna is probably really good at picking up TV and FM broadcast signals and may desense the scanner.

- The feedline may need to be replaced to get enough signal to the scanner.

I would just hook it up and see what happens. It might be good enough for your purposes as it sits.

Jono40141 said:
I have a directional antenna that I installed a few years ago on top of my roof. I don't really use it anymore for the TV and it should work. If i plug in my PSR-500 to it getting an adapter will this make a difference? I think it was UHF, VHF, FM. I know theoretically it should work.
Thank you!

Status
Not open for further replies.