Advice needed for vhf/uhf tuned base antenna

Status
Not open for further replies.

kmacka

I'm looking to buy a new antenna for my base scanners. I already have a scantenna attached to my roof that I currently use with all my base scanners. I am looking for another antenna to point in the direction of my local airport to get a little better reception. I can hear the atis and ground/tower frequencies most times, but I would like to try and see if I can hear them better. I would be mounting this antenna in my attic, which is approx. 5 foot high. I'm wondering if I should get some type of beam antenna, but I'm not expert and need some input. I'm looking to listen to civil/milair vhf and uhf. Thanks.

Last edited:

Turbo68

I use the Icom-AH7000 Discone and it works excellent on the Airband and i live in a flat area and i am about 80 kilometres from the main airport i can hear atis clear and controllers on full signal strength and my antenna is 8 metres high.

Regards Lino (Melbourne Australia)AOR-3000A/AOR-8200MK3/AOR-8600MK2/ICOM-R3/ICOM-R5/ICOM-R20/ICOM-PCR1000/ICOM-PCR1500
ICOM-R2500/ICOM-R9000/ICOM-R9500/JRC NRD-545/UNIDEN-245/UNIDEN-396/UNIDEN-780/UNIDEN-785
RADIO SHACK-PRO96/REALISTIC-PRO2035/YAESU-VX7R/YAESU-VR500/YAESU-VR5000

Last edited:

kmacka

Don_Burke said:
What are you using for feedline on the scantenna? Perhaps it needs an upgrade.

I would expect the scantenna to outperform a discone by quite a margin.

I am using the coax that came with the scantenna.

N1SQB

Premium Subscriber
KMACKA;
I have to agree with the discone suggestion. Discones have an upward radiating pattern. This is what is best for aircraft monitoring. Second, I also agree with the coax post. An antenna is only as good as the coax you use with it. Most of the time, the cable included is not the best otherwise they would charge more. Me personaly, Im a Belden 9913, LMR-400UF type of guy. Its great for monitoring with the discone and if you ever get your Ham license (unless you already have it), you can also transmitt on the 144/440 MHZ bands as well. Try and keep your cable runs under 75 FT. and do not splice the line as that will cause more signal loss.

Manny

Status
Not open for further replies.