My Rotator Stopped Working!!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

tonsoffun

Senior Moderator
Premium Subscriber
I am really pissed. It is -21 outside and I am certainly not going to work on this piece of crap now especially with this huge storm coming.

I tried to spin the antennas last night and noticed on the display that it was working but my signal never changed. Went outside and it was still in the south/west position.

Has anyone had this issue with your rotators?. I shouldn't of changed my rotor to Philips.

Thanks for letting me vent LOL.
Take care
Ron

rcvmo

Well, if you'good with a voltmeter, check and see if your control box is working properly.
Then from there inspect you control cable for breaks (dang squirrels, birds). I just took mine down prior to the winter wx for a PM (Preventive maint.) You can totally disassemble the unit and lube all the moving parts and gears with anti-sieze or some type of petroleum jelly. I have been using sprinkler control cable to operate the rotor over 70 feet.

Good luck.
rcvmo

tonsoffun

Senior Moderator
Premium Subscriber
rcvmo said:
Well, if you'good with a voltmeter, check and see if your control box is working properly.
Then from there inspect you control cable for breaks (dang squirrels, birds). I just took mine down prior to the winter wx for a PM (Preventive maint.) You can totally disassemble the unit and lube all the moving parts and gears with anti-sieze or some type of petroleum jelly. I have been using sprinkler control cable to operate the rotor over 70 feet.

Good luck.
rcvmo

Hey rcvmo,
My control cable is all tucked in the tilt-over mast so there is no chance it got chewed up by those little varmets.
Ya, I will check with my voltmeter tonight. I actually did a check(PM) in the fall so this really ticked me off.
Take care
Ron

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
At -21 degrees I'd say theres a good chance the grease in the gear box is too thick, and the motor can't overpower it. Wait until it warms up a little, or you get some hot sun on it, and it might go. I'd say if it normally gets that cold where you are, you might want to take it down in the summer, clean out the thick grease, and put a lighter lubricant in there.

trooperdude

Database Admin
tonsoffun said:
I am really pissed. It is -21 outside and I am certainly not going to work on this piece of crap now especially with this huge storm coming.

I tried to spin the antennas last night and noticed on the display that it was working but my signal never changed. Went outside and it was still in the south/west position.

Has anyone had this issue with your rotators?. I shouldn't of changed my rotor to Philips.

Thanks for letting me vent LOL.
Take care
Ron

From a commercial telescope site:
"Most telescopes are made in and designed to operate in the southern states. Generally the telescope will operate perfectly down to freezing, but as the grease thickens, the motors are forced to work harder to move the scope. The easiest solution is to remove as much of the factory grease and replace it with high-quality skidoo track wheel grease. This grease is made for freezing temperatures and is very light."

BIGTOMMY

Rotator

You May Try Aiming A Spot Light Against The Rotator On A Pole To Warm It Up Also Put Low Temp Grease Like Someone Else Suggested I Had The Same
Problem Once Myself Here In New Jersey Ar-22 Rotor

To Cold For Me Where You Are At Here +32

tonsoffun

Senior Moderator
Premium Subscriber
GreatLakes said:
At -21 degrees I'd say theres a good chance the grease in the gear box is too thick, and the motor can't overpower it. Wait until it warms up a little, or you get some hot sun on it, and it might go. I'd say if it normally gets that cold where you are, you might want to take it down in the summer, clean out the thick grease, and put a lighter lubricant in there.

Your right Bill, it warmed up a little today and it spun around good. Looks like some spring maintenance after the winter!.
Take care
Ron

jonny290

I bought a refurbished Alliance U-100 from Norm's Rotor Service and couldn't be happier. Think it ran me about $100 or so, but it has been completely cleaned, rebuilt, and the control box appears to be fresh off the showroom floor. If you want to upgrade I can't help but recommend him - prompt service and great at answering questions.

Status
Not open for further replies.