Mobile Antenna Vs Standard Portable Antenna

Status
Not open for further replies.

mikeydcg2003

I am torn between getting a mobile antenna for my vehicle versus keeping the RS 800 duckie i have on my 396 right now. If i were to look for a mobile antenna (Keeping that it's mag mount) What would you guys recommend. Just curious.

oldranger

Mobile Antenna

I put a mag mount on the trunk of my car for my hand held scanner. It was a great improvement over the rubber duckie.
If you do it you'll never regret it.

Grog

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
Before a magmount, I would say it's always best to use a "real" mount.

#1 drilling a hole in the roof and mounting a NMO

#2 drilling a hole in the trunk and mounting a NMO

#3 using a "L" bracket on the trunk (if on a car)

#4 a trunklip mount (if on a car)

#5 a magmount

If you still have to use a magmount for whatever reasons, go with as high quality as you can afford. Also, how well can you RX the system now? If you pick up everything you can now, why do you want an external antenna? Sometimes bigger is not better. I have one system that I usually take off the RS800 antenna and put up a stubby to knock out some of the nextel and other interference.

mikeydcg2003

It picks most of my stuff up pretty good, Although it does cut some of the stuff out. I have to use mag mount because i cannot drill into the car due to it being my work van and i don't own it. Is their any good recomendations you guys have for a good mag mount system?

mikeydcg2003

A wide Variety. I do a few 800mhz, Des Moines PD runs inthe 400 mhz range. and most of the other items run in the 100-200 mhz range. I also do listen to the local 2m ham guys that run in the 400 mhz range as well

n5usr

Premium Subscriber
mikeydcg2003 said:
I have to use mag mount because i cannot drill into the car due to it being my work van and i don't own it.
Are you certain you can't mount something? Have you asked? (Sure, some places will be absolutely out, I know.) If you are assigned a vehicle and you keep it for a very long time, they probably won't care about three very small screw holes in the hidden lip of the trunk/hood.

I have had work vehicles since I got out of college, and they have never had a problem with my antenna mounts. One vehicle I even punched two holes in the roof of the van for permanent mounts. Most others I just used the L-bracket on the side of the hood. But - again - these vehicles were assigned to me with the understanding I'd drive them until it was time to be replaced, not a short-term proposition.

hoser147

Other options might be a lip mount or a gutter mount. If ya look around there are quite a few alternatives and alot of good antenna's out there. Check out a few websites and the WIKI kinda narrow it down to what is it you want to go with. There is also a little suction cup type mount that goes right on the window and uses your ducky antenna in it, I have one and it sure is nice for when you just have to jump to other vehicles. Good Scannin Hoser

fineshot1

I agree with Grog and his listing of preference but since you have a work van I would also add a window mount. I DO NOT mean glass mount - the kind that glue onto the front or back winsheilds but am refering to the bracket kind that fit over the top of either the drivers or passenger side role up windows and have a kind of L bracket that juts outward and puts the antenna mount(usually BNC or SO239) ouward slightly away from the vehicle roof gutter. Its not a perminent mount and can be removed quickly if need be and you can experiment with different types of antennas that have the same mount connector if you like.

Good luck in your search & happy holidays....

Status
Not open for further replies.