"What Base Antenna For A Steel Building"??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gearjam

Hi all... I want to Install a Base antenna on my all steel shop...steel roof siding etc.
I currently have a old pro 2045 ,with a mobile whip mounted out side my office window

But I'm planning on maybe putting up a small tower, with a antenna that covers every thing that my new BCD-996T will receive.

What antenna would you suggest??

Also how high above the top of the steel roof should I go with the tower?

Thanks In advance

Gearjam

Dubbin

Feed Provider
You can't go wrong with a Scantenna with LMR400 or RG11 coax and put that sucker up as high as you can get it.

Gearjam

Iheard that there was a big time back order on the Scantennas...from another thread...but I will be sure to check It out.

I'm looking at a DA3000... 25MHz-2GHz...I know I can get this one here In Canada...any one have or heard of them?

Dubbin

Feed Provider
Gearjam said:
Iheard that there was a big time back order on the Scantennas...from another thread...but I will be sure to check It out.

I'm looking at a DA3000... 25MHz-2GHz...I know I can get this one here In Canada...any one have or heard of them?

I guess it depends on where you get it from. I picked one up yesterday (it was the last one they had in stock though). I would check out a few places to find one before you give up on it.

Gooser

Gearjam said:

So far as the "Scantenna", get the ST2...in stock at Universal (good peeps). It's also about 103 clams cheaper than the DA3000 discone from the same website (Universal).

I was thinking going "cone" too...but so far, except for having to brace elements and size, I have seen so many positive posts regarding this antenna that I decided not to "cone". But what the hell do I know?

See this thread regarding availability of the Scantenna and ST2:
http://www.radioreference.com/forums/showthread.php?p=677761#post677761

Dubbin

Feed Provider
Gooser said:
So far as the "Scantenna", get the ST2...in stock at Universal (good peeps).

Oh no it isn't, I got the last one from them yesterday :D BTW I'm pretty sure they are ALL ST2's now.

Gearjam

Thanks for the Info Guys...Just wondering If I can get the ST2 Shipped over here...What Is "Universal??...Thanks

Gearjam

Hey there Dubbin...some day I'm gona ask you how you do the online scanner feed...that Is realy Kool.

By the way the BCD-996T Is still In the box....under the tree shhhhhhhh...I'm not supost to know.

Gooser

Dubbin said:
Oh no it isn't, I got the last one from them yesterday :D BTW I'm pretty sure they are ALL ST2's now.

LOL Dubby...
Like I said in the topic of my other thread; "Sucks to be me..."
crying-022.gif

Gearjam

Gooser said:
LOL Dubby...
Like I said in the topic of my other thread; "Sucks to be me..."
crying-022.gif

LOL But It realy sux to be me...I'm across the pond

Our main Radio shop over here Is: Radioworld...but I dont see the Scantenna on there site...Dang

Last edited:

Dubbin

Feed Provider
Gearjam said:
Hard to Imagine how this little antenna can out perform the bigger Discone for a lot more green stamps

LOL this "little antenna" is over 100" tall.

Gooser

Last edited:

Gearjam

LOL Hee Hee...there Gooser...Yah had me lookin There...But 100" I like It even more...I'm a Retired Iron worker...Back In my younger days My buddies would get me to put up there big 4 and 5 element beams on the 80' towers...soIt will just remind me of the good ole days

Gearjam

Thanks for the Help On that "Little Antenna" guys...From the reading that Idid On here It sounds to be the antenna for this Digital Radio...Ijust have to round up some tower now.

Merry Christmass to yaal

Gearjam

jonny290

gearjam if you are having problems finding tower give the electric company a call, say you need to string some wires on private land and would like to buy a telephone pole

i think you can get a 40 footer for a couple hundred bucks, just need 10 feet of hole or so to sink it. good luck!

Gearjam

jonny290 said:
gearjam if you are having problems finding tower give the electric company a call, say you need to string some wires on private land and would like to buy a telephone pole

i think you can get a 40 footer for a couple hundred bucks, just need 10 feet of hole or so to sink it. good luck!

A Telephone pole..are you serious??LOL...Thanks...but I'm gona stick to the tower...knowing me. I will put up 40 '...then I'l be adding sections...till I'm way the hec up there

Status
Not open for further replies.