Antenna Farm - V3

Status
Not open for further replies.

Taloniilm

Here's a few pics of my lastest configuration... Height above ground is 30 ft.

Last edited:

tonsoffun

Senior Moderator
Premium Subscriber
Ray, great job on the install. What kind of weather station is that? What shortwave radio do you have for the longwire?
Take care
Ron

Taloniilm

Thanks for the good words all... Santa brought me a Davis 6152 WX station... I have an old National DR28 SW receiver I bought overseas years ago

kb2vxa

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
The "long" wire is anything but long but more importantly why is the lead-in wire taped to the mast? That capacitively couples it to the mast making it, everything on it and all associated wiring part of the antenna system (and good source of electrical noise) or if the mast is grounded you're leaking signal to ground and still coupling noise to the antenna system. Now if my eyes don't deceive me and that's a single wire, it's part of the antenna system and should be treated as such keeping it away from metal objects, wiring, etc.

Otherwise that's a sweet installation and some hefty eave mount too. That's exactly how I had my CB antenna mounted years ago right down to the under eave coax run only I used 2" heavy wall aluminium EMT instead of that steel Rat Shack TV mast. Oh nothing wrong with that, I had 15' of it supporting my VHF ham antenna for years and it survived many of our vicious thunderstorms and legendary winter gales here at the shore.

Taloniilm

Keep the feedback coming !!! I appreciate all inputs both positive and negative as it's my way of learning all I can about the radio hobby. To summarize; the SW antenna set up, it's about 57 feet long. I soldered and heat shrunk the insulated feed line and wire tied it to the mast.The long wire itself is attached to the masts via standard plastic insulators with nylon parachute cord which is tied to stainless steel eye bolts that are thru bolted. Everything is grounded ie. the two sputniks are mounted on schedule 80 PVC, (to keep the wieght down) so I ran a braided copper ground wire from each to the stainless steel mount plate. Both masts sre grounded from the eve mount brakets to copper ground rods. The SW radio has it's own grounding rod. So far I'm getting excellent results from the Diamond, the two Sputniks and the "long wire". Once again thanks for taking time to post your comments !!!

73's,
Ray

Status
Not open for further replies.