Antenna Recommendations very weird problems+ my bad luck

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jono40141

I have seemed to have had the worst luck with antennas. I live in Lexington, KY and monitor a lot of frequencies and also monitor a different counties frequencies when I'm at college. I typically monitor the Conv police frequencies which operate around 151MHZ i also monitor the 800MHZ trunked system (which is a lot harder to pick up). I also listen to the digital 430MHZ state police frequency (Their signal is so strong I'm not worried about this). I have had the standard rubber duck antenna which picked up alright (not very good in the dorm room surrounded by concrete or in the car). I have used an 800MHZ antenna which really didn't increase my reception. It sounded about the same before and after I got it. I also have tried a regular external mag mount antenna which covered all the scanner frequencies and was recommend by a scanner friend of mine who has had great results. I don't know if it was faulty or not, but I can usually pick up better in the car with my rubber ducky 800mhz antenna. I think it works sometimes then other times I just don't know. Sometimes a channel will be perfectly clear and then a few seconds later it will be terrible. My luck is terrible. This has been tried on 3 different scanners so I know that the scanners are not faulty.

So I guess my question is: Can anyone recommend a good solution. Maybe a new antenna recommendation that is a good overall all frequency antenna. I have tried the ATT button and that doesn't fix anything for anyone that things its an overload from being too close. The only place my scanner works great is in my bedroom at home. I can usually pick up everything without much interference. Outside it will usually work too just not in the car.

I'm sure no one had had the problems I have had with an antenna when they live in the same city as the towers. Right now I currently use my 800 MHZ antenna and occasionally in the car I will use the external mount, but I am constantly switching back and forth due to my paranoia of the antenna being faulty (I'm pretty sure it is).

Anyone have a good external antenna mag mount? I would like to use it in my dorm as well maybe in the room or slightly out of the window. I need all the help I can get as this can be very frustrating.

Thank you!!

blueangel-eric

Feed Provider
Jono40141 said:
I have seemed to have had the worst luck with antennas. I live in Lexington, KY and monitor a lot of frequencies and also monitor a different counties frequencies when I'm at college. I typically monitor the Conv police frequencies which operate around 151MHZ i also monitor the 800MHZ trunked system (which is a lot harder to pick up). I also listen to the digital 430MHZ state police frequency (Their signal is so strong I'm not worried about this). I have had the standard rubber duck antenna which picked up alright (not very good in the dorm room surrounded by concrete or in the car). I have used an 800MHZ antenna which really didn't increase my reception. It sounded about the same before and after I got it. I also have tried a regular external mag mount antenna which covered all the scanner frequencies and was recommend by a scanner friend of mine who has had great results. I don't know if it was faulty or not, but I can usually pick up better in the car with my rubber ducky 800mhz antenna. I think it works sometimes then other times I just don't know. Sometimes a channel will be perfectly clear and then a few seconds later it will be terrible. My luck is terrible. This has been tried on 3 different scanners so I know that the scanners are not faulty.

So I guess my question is: Can anyone recommend a good solution. Maybe a new antenna recommendation that is a good overall all frequency antenna. I have tried the ATT button and that doesn't fix anything for anyone that things its an overload from being too close. The only place my scanner works great is in my bedroom at home. I can usually pick up everything without much interference. Outside it will usually work too just not in the car.

I'm sure no one had had the problems I have had with an antenna when they live in the same city as the towers. Right now I currently use my 800 MHZ antenna and occasionally in the car I will use the external mount, but I am constantly switching back and forth due to my paranoia of the antenna being faulty (I'm pretty sure it is).

Anyone have a good external antenna mag mount? I would like to use it in my dorm as well maybe in the room or slightly out of the window. I need all the help I can get as this can be very frustrating.

Thank you!!

If it's the Radio Shack mag mount it's cheap junk. It doesn't work well at UHF and 800mhz. it seems almost everybody starts out with those antennas. I don't know what multiband mobile scanner antenna to reccommend as the one i got from Scannermaster didn't work so hot on UHF so i sent it back. i just use a plain ole 1/4 cut for 160mhz for everything for now. sometimes the plain VHF-hi whip works better or the same as a so called multiband antenna unless you what to spent $80+.

i am curious what others reccomend for a multiband mobile scanner antenna.

W4KRR

Premium Subscriber
Scanner reception is often tricky in a mobile environment. You're moving around, and there's good spots and bad spots.

I use a Larsen 150/450/800 all band scanner antenna. It works well for me. Yes, you can get a magnet mount and attach this antenna to it, and use it mobile or inside. Make sure the magnet mount has an NMO mount.

When using it inside, place it on a metal surface, like a file cabinet or a large metal pizza pan. You may have to move it around to find a good spot to get the best reception. This is about your only option, other than an outside antenna mounted up high on a mast, or mounted in the attic. Remember, in general, the higher the better. Unfortunately in some cases, the signal loss in the coax cable might be worse that if you use a rubber duck antenna attached directly to the radio. Sad but often true. The only way to find out for sure what works best is to try it out; experiment.

You can find the Larsen 150/450/800 scanner antenna and various magnet mounts from most amateur radio dealers, like HRO or AES. I got mine from AES (Amateur Electronic Supply) in Florida. Their web site is www.aesham.com

Jono40141

Do you have a model on your specific antenna?
Thank you for the help and suggestions. I'm pretty much screwed I know.

W4KRR

Premium Subscriber
Jono40141 said:
Do you have a model on your specific antenna?
Thank you for the help and suggestions. I'm pretty much screwed I know.

The Larsen 150/450/800, that's the model number.

Why do you keep saying you're screwed? You just have to understand that there are always things that you would like to be able to hear that, for numerous reasons, you just can't. That's just the way things are. Antennas mounted higher up will help, but some people live in areas where they can't put up outside antennas. So, experiment. Try an attic mounted antenna. Try a homemade dipole hidden behind a curtain. You have a good chance of improving you reception above what it is now. Good luck!

blueangel-eric

Feed Provider
W4KRR said:
The Larsen 150/450/800, that's the model number.

Why do you keep saying you're screwed? You just have to understand that there are always things that you would like to be able to hear that, for numerous reasons, you just can't. That's just the way things are. Antennas mounted higher up will help, but some people live in areas where they can't put up outside antennas. So, experiment. Try an attic mounted antenna. Try a homemade dipole hidden behind a curtain. You have a good chance of improving you reception above what it is now. Good luck!

I have two homemade dipoles and they seem pretty broadbanded for receiving. They are tuned for 2 meters and also work well on UHF. don't know about 800mhz as i can't scan the KHP anymore since they went digital. I have one for the scanner and the other for my ham radio HT in the bedroom. I have to use them indoors where i now live. i can't use my most favorite, the Scantenna ST-2 since i live in an apartment now. One antenna is aluminum tubing from an old CB base antenna and the other is copper tubing similiar diameter.
http://picasaweb.google.com/soaked.jeans/RadiosAndAntennas/photo#5052709236018998338

Eric Burris

Last edited:

DPD1

Lots of times the biggest problem with receiving inside is moving in and out of the sweet spots, which is doubly the case in the higher bands. The reality is, you may never get any antenna that will work well enough indoors to allow you to put the radio anywhere you want. I'm not totally clear on the details, but if you are listening to a system that's for your area and you can't get it in the car, then something is wrong. Obviously if the services can do it, you should be able to. As far as listening indoors... The best thing to do is get a proper outdoor antenna as high as you can get it... Or even if you can get one on a balcony or something, that's better than nothing. If you have a TV antenna system in the structure that still works, get the right adapter and give that a shot. Just watch out for lightning when storms come.

If you have a spot that works well in the house, get a clip and some cable and clip the antenna in the spot where it works, then you can move the radio where you want without it fading.

Dave
www.DPDProductions.com
Antennas & Accessories for the RF Professional & Radio Hobbyist

Status
Not open for further replies.