NMO mag mount and cable for it

Status
Not open for further replies.

AtomicTaco

I'm looking to get the Antenex ABSCANC for my car. I'm going mount it with a mag mount on my trunk lid and run the wire underneath the carpet up to the dash where my scanner sits. Right now I have one of these cheapey antennas; it works OK on the 800 band, but I want something better that can also recieve VHF and UHF; hence the purchase of the new antenna. I have it "attached" (or "magnitized" if I'm using that verb correctly) to my trunk lid in the corner and the wire runs inside the trunk; it's essentially just like a trunk lid mount but a heck of a lot easier to take off.
Anyways, I'm not sure which mag mount and cable combination to get. I like the looks of the Antenex mounts because they match :D

pic:
92300849kh7.jpg

antenexminimagblacktep2.gif

But I read that all NMO mounts are the same. I'm not sure what kind of cable to get. All of the Antenex mag mounts come with 12 feet of cable and I'm pretty sure that would be just a few feet short; I think I'd need 15-20 feet just because I want it under the carpet. I was thinking of special ordering one straight from them, but I don't know what kind of cable to get; the choices are RG58A/U, RG58U, RG8X, and Teflex. I'm looking for something fairly flexible too; temps around here drop into the mid 30s on a regular basis and I park outside all of the time; I've noticed that some of the RG59U that I have is a bit stiff during the winter months (The 3 feet of cable nearest the scanner exits the console on the passenger site and hangs there; when I have my scanner with me (which is most of the time) I plug it in; otherwise, it just sits there hanging)

Also, I'm looking for something with a BNC connector; it's what my scanner accepts and I don't have vertical space for an adapter. I'd really like to get one with a preinstalled connector because it took me a long time before I was successful at crimping RJ-45 plugs--and those aren't very hard! Not to mention I don't own a BNC crimper.

Suggestions?

Last edited:

jakegday

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
i purchased an nmo mag mount along with an antenna from antenex recently, i chose the rg58a/u cable and havent had any problems with it, i keep the antenna mounted on my car ALL the time and the cold weather doesnt seem to effect the rg58a/u at all, very very flexible still

also, since it seems like this antenna sits at the edge of your trunk, and im assuming you plan on leaving it there for quite some time (since youll be running cable under carpet) you should just get the trunk lid mount instead, you would get better reception cuz your antenna would have a much better ground

Last edited:

blueangel-eric

Feed Provider
AtomicTaco said:
I'm looking to get the Antenex ABSCANC for my car. I'm going mount it with a mag mount on my trunk lid and run the wire underneath the carpet up to the dash where my scanner sits. Right now I have one of these cheapey antennas; it works OK on the 800 band, but I want something better that can also recieve VHF and UHF; hence the purchase of the new antenna. I have it "attached" (or "magnitized" if I'm using that verb correctly) to my trunk lid in the corner and the wire runs inside the trunk; it's essentially just like a trunk lid mount but a heck of a lot easier to take off.
Anyways, I'm not sure which mag mount and cable combination to get. I like the looks of the Antenex mounts because they match :D

pic:
92300849kh7.jpg

antenexminimagblacktep2.gif

But I read that all NMO mounts are the same. I'm not sure what kind of cable to get. All of the Antenex mag mounts come with 12 feet of cable and I'm pretty sure that would be just a few feet short; I think I'd need 15-20 feet just because I want it under the carpet. I was thinking of special ordering one straight from them, but I don't know what kind of cable to get; the choices are RG58A/U, RG58U, RG8X, and Teflex. I'm looking for something fairly flexible too; temps around here drop into the mid 30s on a regular basis and I park outside all of the time; I've noticed that some of the RG59U that I have is a bit stiff during the winter months (The 3 feet of cable nearest the scanner exits the console on the passenger site and hangs there; when I have my scanner with me (which is most of the time) I plug it in; otherwise, it just sits there hanging)

Also, I'm looking for something with a BNC connector; it's what my scanner accepts and I don't have vertical space for an adapter. I'd really like to get one with a preinstalled connector because it took me a long time before I was successful at crimping RJ-45 plugs--and those aren't very hard! Not to mention I don't own a BNC crimper.

Suggestions?

That looks alot like the MAXrad model and the Comtelco that i sent back. Bet it works the same too. funny they all look alike.

AtomicTaco

I thought about a trunk lid mount, but that's too permanant. I know next to nothing about trunk mounts and I can't find any pictures of the bottom or side of any of the mounts. But common sense tells me that the mount sits on top of the trunk and on the underside there's probably a screw or something that keeps the mount on the lid and out of the trunk. Plus I'd like to be able to put the antenna on the roof while I'm parked (provided there's some extra cable).

Glad to hear positive things about the antenna. Any other ideas regarding cabling/connectors?

SLWilson

Nmo...

I have two NMO trunk lip mounted antennas that work great. Both the mounts and the antenas came from Antennex....

They are easy to install. Simply slip the bracket (NMO base) over the lip of the trunk lid, tighten the screws, run your coax and you are done....

You can order whatever end you need. Go to the Antennex website!!!

See below....

Steve/KB7FAR

Attachments

• Impala4.jpg
    Impala4.jpg
    25.8 KB · Views: 895
  • Impala 1.jpg
    Impala 1.jpg
    76.5 KB · Views: 3,387
  • Impala2.jpg
    Impala2.jpg
    16.5 KB · Views: 740
  • Impala3.jpg
    Impala3.jpg
    59 KB · Views: 1,552

AtomicTaco

I've seen those images before and I still don't know where that wire goes out of your scanner; it appears to have disappeared!

N1BHH

Most of the NMO mounts out there come with coax already attached. The Larsen's have either 14 or 17 feet attached with connector. Just look through what's at the various online stores and the description and you can get what you want. There are so many mounting kits out there, take your time to decide.

Status
Not open for further replies.