Simple Coax Antenna Gain & Beamwidth

Status
Not open for further replies.

nutmegzzzz

I have a video transmitter operating in the L-Band (1.7GHz - 1.85GHz) and the antenna is a simple coax cable with the shield removed so that it is ~30mm long. I need to know what the gain and vertical beamwidth of the antenna is, an educated guess is fine with me.

Thanks for any assistance that could be provided.

k9rzz

Grab that napkin over there ...

936 / 1,700mhz = 0.55 ft for 1 wavelength.
0.55 ft x 12 in /ft = 6.6 in
6.6 in x 2.54 cm/in = 16.7cm
30 mm = 3 cm so ... 3/16.7 = 0.18 wavelengths.

Usually gain is measured against a dipole (which has by definition 0 db), which is 1/2 wavelength, or 0.5. wavelengths.

So, I would guess that the 'gain' of your antenna is less than a dipole or <0 db.

Sorry !

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=antenna+gain+dipole&btnG=Google+Search

Looks like there's room for improvement if that's your goal.

cool2.gif

Last edited:

kb2vxa

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
Vertical beamwidth? Never heard of it, beam width refers to the azimuthal polar pattern of a directional antenna which it is not. If you mean elevation radiation angle that's another story.

Ask N_Jay if you can make any sense out of 90 +/- 45 which gives you anything from straight up to straight down or 0-180 degrees. EH? What's this have to do with the elevation pattern? How many lobes? How big are they? At what angles are those lobes? What does the pattern look like? EH?

I like your math N_Jay, you'd confuse Einstein.

Why not use EZ Nec, model it for yourself and end all this?

"Looks like there's room for improvement if that's your goal."

Looks like there's room for improvement if that's your Google. (;->)

Last edited:
N

N_Jay

kb2vxa said:
Vertical beamwidth? Never heard of it,
Once again you prove you know very little about a field you try to show your expertise in.

kb2vxa said:
beam width refers to the azimuthal polar pattern of a directional antenna which it is not. If you mean elevation radiation angle that's another story.
Beamwidth can be horizontal or vertical.
Radiation angle would describe the center line of the mail lobe. Beamwidth is usually described using the -3dB points.

kb2vxa said:
Ask N_Jay if you can make any sense out of 90 +/- 45 which gives you anything from straight up to straight down or 0-180 degrees. EH?
Your display of ignorance continues.
While the answer was intended to be somewhat humorous, it is also accurate. For a whip antenna I would expect the -3dB points to fall somewhere between 22.5 deg and 90 deg off the mail lobe peak. (Hence a beam width of between 45 deg and 180 deg)

So the answer your "EH?" is "DUH!"

kb2vxa said:
What's this have to do with the elevation pattern? How many lobes? How big are they? At what angles are those lobes? What does the pattern look like? EH?
Sorry for not drawing pictures for you. Next time I will have to remember that I am explaining this for a 3 year old and bring my crayons.

kb2vxa said:
I like your math N_Jay, you'd confuse Einstein.
No confusion there at all. It is your unwillingness to replace your incorrect beliefs with knowledge that have confused you.

Why don't you work on your inability to use the quote feature for a while. Wen you master that, we can discuss antenna radiation patterns. (I'll bring the crayons)

kb2vxa said:
Why not use EZ Nec, model it for yourself and end all this?
Wow, high power tools for a low power problem.
Maybe you have relied on the tools so much you have lost the ability to grasp the fundamentals of the problem. Any technician can plug numbers into a program. Engineers understand what the program is doing and have an expectation of the results before starting.

Dubbin

Feed Provider
Damn guys, must you to fight in every thread that you choose to post in... I suggest both of you use the ignore feature on each other so you don't subject the rest of the users to your constant childish arguments. Its getting old...

N

N_Jay

Dubbin said:
Damn guys, must you to fight in every thread that you choose to post in... I suggest both of you use the ignore feature on each other so you don't subject the rest of the users to your constant childish arguments. Its getting old...

Mmmoooooommmmmmmmmmm!

He started it!

Status
Not open for further replies.