Diamond RH77CA: Noisy ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

BOBRR

Hello:

Have a new GRE 500.

Seems to work pretty well with the supplied antenna.

I also bought a Diamond RH77CA antenna, thinking it would probably be even better.

A lot of this is subjective, of course, and really hard to run a controlled experiment, even by trying to switch the antennas quickly and comparing, but -

The Diamond one does seem to pick up "a bit" more, but is generally "statically" or noisy most everywhere. Not a lot, but discernibly.

I don't think that the receiver is being overloaded, or that ATT is called for,
but, perhaps ?

Does anyone have any first hand experience with these Diamond RH77CA antennas ?
Generally noisy, etc. ?

Is the added noise just the price one has to pay for increased sensitivity ?

Defective antenna, perhaps ?

Any thoughts on this would be most appreciated.

Thanks,
Bob

N1BHH

The antenna is not defective, if you're picking up noise, just move away from whatever the source is. Could be a touch lamp, a thermostat, a hot water heater, any number of things. A friend of mine once had a pulsing static all over the spectrum. It would disappear from time to time, but reappear later. I suggested it's electrical in nature, and switch off and on every circuit in the house one at a time, to determine where in the house it came from.

It wasn't in the house, turned out to be from the neighbors next door. He happened to look out the door when he had the HF rig on and noticed when someone hit the door bell the noise stopped for quite some time. Turned out to be an old leaky door bell transformer. It was like a pulse generator.

I wouldn't worry too much about static, just try to locate it and maybe you can fix it and then enjoy more peaceful monitoring.

kellykeeton

I find that its not that great in metro trying to get 800, I actually have a 800 tuned antenna that i moved this one out for, even at 150's i seem to get a lot of noise compared to the normal telescoping. on my HT however I use it a lot, real nice for dual band tx.

i attribute my bad scanning with this antenna to the fact that i live in a real noisy RF area, about 10 miles from two WX transmitters and in an apartment where seems everyone is using some baby monitor or tv hearing device, Im also in line of site 15 miles of about 3 TV antennas, So I find that my location needs a lot of tuned antennas to try and notch out all the crap. however when I take my scanner mobile i do leave the diamond on and its a decent all around, but i do think that i get better performance holding control channels with a tuned 800

Status
Not open for further replies.