Looking for advice on handheld cb antenna

Status
Not open for further replies.

bacalhau

Hi,
I just bought an RadioShack compact cb walkie-talkie (w/ digital alert) and ofcourse first thing I noticed was that the receiving range is not that great.
Upon finding this site and reading some reviews and opinions, the fact is, I still don't know exactly what to buy, and ofcourse I don't know much about this - yeap, that is why I come here looking for the experts :)
The radio is going to be used for long hikes and three day plus camping venues - cellular phone coverage is scarse where we go, and it is always good to have some extra updated info about the weather - in sum, it's an emergency tool.
Neverless, and although we will be mostly at higher altitudes - probably anything from 3k to 7k at least, I still need some long range ability either receiving or transmiting.
I read a review about Maldol MH-255 on 159-162MHz VHF and it did sound good.
Would that be a good choice for my radio?
Please advice about this option, and any other you have in mind - all opinions are wellcome.
And thanks to everyone in advance, and above all to make and keep alive sites like this.

klogd

CB hand-held radios have terrible range because its impossible for the antenna to be long enough for the 11 meter wavelength.

MURS has longer range because its two watts on vhf.
One choice is the M538-HT.

Yet since this is for emergency, you might want to consider a 2-meter ham radio hand-held to give you more frequency versatility. Probably if a life is on the line, then you would want to go to what ever frequency you can get help from. Yet if you do so, consider taking the technician ham test to be legit.

VHF hand-helds such as the yaesu-vertex VX-150, or icom IC-V8 sport are in the $100 to $120 price range. The Alinco DJ-S11T is $85.
These radios can be modified to operate on MURS with the mars/cap modification, but such use is legally questionable because of the higher transmit power capability.

bacalhau

klogd said:
CB hand-held radios have terrible range because its impossible for the antenna to be long enough for the 11 meter wavelength.

MURS has longer range because its two watts on vhf.
One choice is the M538-HT.

Yet since this is for emergency, you might want to consider a 2-meter ham radio hand-held to give you more frequency versatility. Probably if a life is on the line, then you would want to go to what ever frequency you can get help from. Yet if you do so, consider taking the technician ham test to be legit.

VHF hand-helds such as the yaesu-vertex VX-150, or icom IC-V8 sport are in the $100 to $120 price range. The Alinco DJ-S11T is $85.
These radios can be modified to operate on MURS with the mars/cap modification, but such use is legally questionable because of the higher transmit power capability.

Hi,
Thanks for the reply.
As long as the antenna is a flexible one or a telescopic type, it won't be a problem - it would only be attached when needed.
Then, as most of my hikes and camping sites do reach in average 5-6,000 feet, or more if you are going to a peak/view point, I assume that I could get some more range - which I would estimate to need at any given time anything between 5 to 20 miles.
I will take a look on that 2 meter ham radio antenna, and if you have the time, can you explain in more detail what you mean with " (...) consider taking the technician ham test to be legit."
Thanks once again
Phil

RodStrong

If you are not a ham but have an interest in maxing out your ability to communicate in the backcountry, you may want to consider getting your license. Spending some time finding out what your local ham clubs (or clubs in the area you will be in) have to offer would be to your advantage. Also, if you really want to dot your i's and cross your t's, you may want to contact your local search and rescue group with questions prior to your hike. Many SAR groups have hams in their comm units or otherwise utilize ham networks, and they may be able to give you some helpful info. as to what repeaters you may be able to access if you need help or even access to a phone patch.

I suppose this could be argued, but I would not rely on a CB as an emergency tool these days, especially in the backcountry. Your best bet in the back country is first and foremost having a gps, map, and a compass, and knowing how to use them. Comm wise, a cellphone and some form of a radio other than a CB (such as ham or even FRS) would be your best bet in my opinion.

Whatever you do, if you go into the back country, have a plan and let someone responsible at home know about where you will be and when you will return. If you have any kind of radio, let someone at home know what type of radio it is (VHF, UHF, CB, etc.), and what channel or frequency you will be on, so if SAR folks come a looking for you, they will be able to holler at you on the radio. And if you choose to use an FRS, don't use quiet codes. They're good for the mall, but not for searchers when they are trying to find you. Good luck.

prcguy

There is an aftermarket 42" long telescoping whip available with a rubber coated loading coil/spring at the base that works great. The base of the antenna looks exactly like a BNC VHF rubber duckie with a whip grafted on. I loaned one to a friend who was climbing Mt. McKinley where the main communications with base camp is small CB handhelds. He was apparently the first person to get from the highest base camps back to the ranger station on a CB handheld and now everyone there is using the same antenna. I recently watched a PBS special on surviving on Denali and whenever they showed a closeup of someone calling base camp I saw the exact same antenna! I forgot where I purchased the antennas but will find out and let you know. Until then, here is a pic of the collapsed antenna.
prcguy

Last edited:

enine

RodStrong said:
Comm wise, a cellphone and some form of a radio other than a CB (such as ham or even FRS) would be your best bet in my opinion.

Actually I use CB a lot on the farm and it has a much greater range than FRS. the only FRS radios that beat the CB are the combined FRS/GMRS radios operating on an GMRS channel. FRS is terrible for range, at times I could see the other person through the trees but we couldn't get a signal on FRS radios/channels.

bacalhau

Thanks guys, all very helpfull replies.
PRCGUY, if indeed you find that manufacturer/seller. plase let me know.
RODSTRONG, I will follow your advice about contacting local HAM groups, and local rescue groups.
Some areas where I hike, I pretty much wilderness areas, meaning, there isn't realy any cell coverage - yes I tried :). Yes, I do carry all the gear you mention and more. Between hiking and mountain biking for over a decade , I know that the item/tool you will need the most is the one you left behind ( well not that much) and you can't carry everything with you - but I don't ever regreat to carry my emergency gear.
I tried a FRS, and althought rated for 5 miles, the truth is, it does not stand a chance with the hills and trees....and bushes.
Anyway, thanks to all you guys.
I will keep looking here for more advice, and I will post the results ( and field evaluation when it happens) here.

enine

I'm thinking that may have been a Maxon WTA-1
I did a quick google search for telescoping 42" cb antennas and found many hits on that brand/model recommended for handhelds. It seems to be discontinued though.

RodStrong

enine said:
Actually I use CB a lot on the farm and it has a much greater range than FRS. FRS is terrible for range, at times I could see the other person through the trees but we couldn't get a signal on FRS radios/channels.

Glad to hear that it works better for you under those conditions, and there should be no question about basic range differences under ideal conditions. In theory, a 4 watt handheld should do better than a 1/2 watt. The problem is very few people these days use CBs. Dump yourself in the backcountry chock full of hunters (who often aid each other with searching when folks are lost) or heavy traffic recreation areas, monitor everything, and you'll quickly see what people are using. Whether it's the best or not, who knows. I've seen times where 1/2 watt FRS does better than 5 watt VHF commercial rigs, and vice versa. Take care guys.

enine

There seems to be some gain in popularity in CBs lately. Myself and my family have found that the newer digital cell phones have less signal when you way out in the woods than the older analog phones. With the FCC allowing analog to start dropping off the last phones I bought I decided to not bother with making sure they were analog capable (which opened my up to a much better selection in phones) since I would have no way of knowing if I can get an analog signal or not. So I dug my old CB out of the garage a couple years ago and my cousin whom we camp and hunt with a lot pulled out his. Mine didn't work and I didn;t bother fixing it, just bought a new one and then picked up the handheld. I've found the little handheld will cover the 200 acre farm just fine where the FRS couldn't get a signal furthur than we could throw them. I also pretty much leave mine on channel 19 now and have missed a few traffic tie ups thanks to it, it frees up the scanner from now having to monitor 19 so it can monitor other things.
Plus on several automotive forums there seems to me a lot of new threads on people wanting to install CB's, I think they are finding as I did that FRS is a joke and cell phones are getting more limited and expensive so there is a need for a cheap and simple communication method.

CherokeeKid

Another option is to scrap the whip idea and buy or build a di-pole for 11 meters... I use one on my balcony and with a HH hooked to it can hit 6-9 miles anytime through trees and buildings. just coil it up when not in use and tie the ends to the closest tree/pole/what ever. VERY good portable antenna. And you can also look at cbtricks.com to turn up the output on your HH CB. Have fun!

Status
Not open for further replies.