Antenna Name??? Rat Tail, Whip, What is it????

Status
Not open for further replies.

ybbmadysu

I saw an antenna at a local cb/ham shop. Its about 25" with SMA. Some people call it a rat tail, others call it a whip. I have searched on the internet but I cant seem to find it.

I want it for my Ken TK 390 UHF 450-470. I will use this for tx.

Hi Five for the one with the answer.

Thanks All
Brad

KT4HX

Premium Subscriber
I've read someplace that adapters insert about 1db loss, though I cannot say with certainty that is correct. I've never worried about adapters adversely affecting my reception.

kb2vxa

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
A CB shop? Yeah, rat tail sounds about right for a really big rat behind the counter. What you want is a UHF "duckie" and while a ham antenna will work you'd be better off with the commercial antenna. A dual band ham antenna is useless for your purpose, why pay for 2M when you won't use it? BTW, never mind the "gain" since there are too many factors involved with portable operation that effectively nullify it like cross polarization when you hold it sideways for one.

I like your answer Jerri, an adapter is only an inch of coax for all practical purposes.

N1BHH

The term rat tail has been in use for many years, describing any quick fix antenna you can us to replace another at quick notice. The Smiley Antenna line, which I believe is still around use to sell pairs of antennas, one stubby and one "half-wave" gain which could be changed quickly on the same BNC mount. As I remember some people called the longer antenna, a rat tail.

Status
Not open for further replies.