comet window antenna mount.

Status
Not open for further replies.

kc9neq

Premium Subscriber
what is the best general scanning antenna to be used with this mount. i will be using it with a bcd396. someone recommended a maldol ex107b antenna but i am not sure. i usually listen to 155, 400, 800, and some air.

Attachments

• comet ws-1m.jpg
    comet ws-1m.jpg
    2.7 KB · Views: 623

KT4HX

Premium Subscriber
Well for one thing, the Maldol is a true mobile antenna that mounts using an NMO mount. What you have there is a window clip-on mount that has a female BNC connector on the outside. The Maldol will not connect directly to that clip-on mount.

The item you have pictured is made to work with handheld antennas that you want to place outside the vehicle to improve reception. In that case, I would recommend using the Diamond RH77CA, which is a ham 144/440 dual-bander. It will work great for VHF/UHF, but will not perform as well at the 800 range. If you're only listening to local 800, it might do well enough for you there. You could use the Radio Shack 800 duck, which is most excellent at 800, and works decently at UHF and little less so at VHF. It just kind of depends on what your primary target is. I would recommend when you are not using the clip-mount that you move it back into the vehicle though. It is not what I would call weather proof, nor would I want to leave the antennas I mentioned out in the elements full-time.

Personally, I would go the mobile antenna route with a mag-mount. Just route the cable into the vehicle and connect directly to your scanner (using the required connector adaptor). I think your reception would be better with that setup than using a handheld whip with the mount you have there. Plus, the mobile mount would be more weather resistant in case you want to leave it outdoors all the time or if you are driving in bad weather while listening. Again that is just a personal opinion.

kc9neq

Premium Subscriber
the photo of the antenna mount is not very good. this mount by comet does not use a bnc or an sma antenna. the description given was : Comet Window Clip Mount Fully Adjustable. Low-Loss Coax, Gold-Plated Connectors. Maximum Antenna Height: 40". PL-259/ SO-239 Connectors. i guess the antenna would need to have a pl-259 end in order to accept the so-239 mount. the maldol ex107b will fit this mount but im not sure if the antenna is very good or worth it. are there any other antennas out there that have a pl-259mount

ScanDaBands

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
KT4HX said:
I think your reception would be better with that setup than using a handheld whip with the mount you have there.

WAY BETTER ............... :)

ScanDaBands

Banned
nmize said:
the photo of the antenna mount is not very good. this mount by comet does not use a bnc or an sma antenna. the description given was : Comet Window Clip Mount Fully Adjustable. Low-Loss Coax, Gold-Plated Connectors. Maximum Antenna Height: 40". PL-259/ SO-239 Connectors. i guess the antenna would need to have a pl-259 end in order to accept the so-239 mount. the maldol ex107b will fit this mount but im not sure if the antenna is very good or worth it. are there any other antennas out there that have a pl-259mount

That seems odd for a Window Mount - never seen that before - seems and I could be totally wrong but it just seems any antenna that would work would be way to heavy ?

kc9neq

Premium Subscriber
here is a bigger picture of the antenna mount.
hamcity.com sells the mount. its made by comet.

Attachments

• ws1mlg.jpg
    ws1mlg.jpg
    22 KB · Views: 1,178

ScanDaBands

Banned
Too bad it isn't NMO - tons of options - guess there might be an adapter you could use.

The Maldol ex107b is a nice dual band antenna , not so sure it would be best for Wideband use...I don't know if I had that myself and had to use it , I think I would find an NMO adapter and use this antenna (Maxrad BMAXSCAN1000)

http://www.westcoastmall.net/maxrad-scanner-antenna/589/p

KT4HX

Premium Subscriber
I too have not seen one quite like that before. My mistake in my initial post saying it was for BNC (that is what I have normally seen). Nonetheless, I still stand by my original opinion that your reception would be better ("way better" to appease ScanDaBands :wink: ) served by using at least a mag-mount antenna rather than a window mount. His suggestion of the Maxrad antenna is good. I personally use a Larsen NMO 150/450/800 model which is also highly thought of.

bee

I hae been using the OPEK AM801 (bnc) window mount and have gotten really good results, using the radio shack, bnc colapsable(sp) antenna. This mount is from Universal Electronics.

ScanDaBands

Banned
KT4HX said:
I too have not seen one quite like that before. My mistake in my initial post saying it was for BNC (that is what I have normally seen). Nonetheless, I still stand by my original opinion that your reception would be better ("way better" to appease ScanDaBands :wink: ) served by using at least a mag-mount antenna rather than a window mount. His suggestion of the Maxrad antenna is good. I personally use a Larsen NMO 150/450/800 model which is also highly thought of.

Love Larsen antennas - I have a NMO 150 and a NMO 800 roof mounted on my 4 runner right now. Kt4 which model is the wideband I can't remember ?

KT4HX

Premium Subscriber
ScanDaBands said:
Love Larsen antennas - I have a NMO 150 and a NMO 800 roof mounted on my 4 runner right now. Kt4 which model is the wideband I can't remember ?

Assume you are talking about the NMO150/450/800. Still runs $27.95 at HRO. I have two of them, and they present a nice low profile, and I like the black color as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.