800 MHZ antenna

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jimmy252

Premium Subscriber
I live outside of detroit, and have a pro-96.

Detroit's System to begin with has weak signals, even in the city. Anyone have any recommendations for good 800MHz antennas?

I have an RS 800MHz Duckie, but is there anything better that will pick up weaker signals? I read in another post that the Max Systems 8HH 800mhz is pretty good. So as of now i might give that one a try.

Last edited:

moonies

yes, I strongly recommend the max-sysytem antennas as they seem to have a slight gain on signal and will perform above average in the 800 area.

kb2vxa

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
I use an old 800MHz trunk lip mount 3dB gain cell phone antenna on a 4" square electrical box cover with 4 3" copper wire radials soldered on the corners and an angle bracket for a "base station" antenna and it works just fine. BTW the price was right, you can't beat free. They don't make 800 only cell phones anymore or antennas for them but there are leftover sky hooks lying around for the asking.

If you want a Max for free or next to nothing just build one. All you need is an SO-239 flange mount chassis connector and 5 3" pieces of 12ga solid copper wire. The rest you can figure out yourself, it's easy enough, it's only a ground plane and you can build one for any band.

DickH

kb2vxa said:
... If you want a Max for free or next to nothing just build one. All you need is an SO-239 flange mount chassis connector and 5 3" pieces of 12ga solid copper wire. The rest you can figure out yourself, it's easy enough, it's only a ground plane and you can build one for any band.

That sounds like this one I posted here 5 or 6 years ago. http://www.pbase.com/dickh/image/27104369

Ground Plane
Use a UHF chassis-mount connector and #10 or #12 solid copper wire (regular house wiring stuff or welding rod).
Approx. length of all elements:
155MHz - 18"
460MHz - 6"
855MHz - 3-1/4"

Dubbin

Feed Provider
That Max antenna isn't all its cracked up to be. It works alright but its no miracle antenna.

n2mdk

Dubbin said:
That Max antenna isn't all its cracked up to be. It works alright but its no miracle antenna.

Actually I think the Max is "cracked up" to be what it is. It's a complete 1/4 wave ground plane, they used to make them in other frequencies. Don't know if they still do I don't see them anywhere. A 1/4 wave ground plane is a 1/4 wave ground plane. You can make one for much cheaper than they want for them, that's for sure.

Dubbin

Feed Provider
n2mdk said:
Actually I think the Max is "cracked up" to be what it is. It's a complete 1/4 wave ground plane, they used to make them in other frequencies. Don't know if they still do I don't see them anywhere. A 1/4 wave ground plane is a 1/4 wave ground plane.

Well for me its not any better then the RS 800mhz antenna. As a matter of fact, the RS does better on MARCS (Ohio's state system) then the MAX.

ROCKnTIME

Seeker 800 MHz Duckie Antenna

This what I use and its great for the Detroit System. Now people will say its not much better the the Radio Shack 800 MHz, however I gain one to two bars of signal strength over the Radio Shack antenna.

http://www.radiobooks.com/products/sek800.htm

Regardless, I'm still interested in purchasing the Max Systems 800MHz Portable Antenna. If you have one for sale please PM me if you accept PayPal!!

Thanks!!

Gooser

Well...yesterday I received my MAX 800.
Been playing with it against the RS800 and RH77CA (yes, I know, the Diamond is not touted as a 800MHz antenna....read on).

Sitting at my desk, with a BC246T, neither the RS800 0r MAX 800 pick up Oakland trunking about 20 miles away. Certainly the 77 doesn't either.

If I get the scanner next to the top of the ground floor window, the squelch will break in for Oakland and ya can hear dialogue (lots of static though) with both the RS800 and MAX. Nothing on the 77.

With the BC246T, from the desk, the RH77CA will pick up four weather stations. The RS800 will pick up two and the MAX will pick up one. San Jose conventional (15x MHz and 46x MHz) is also better with the RS800 compared to the Max. CHP (42.x MHz) is dead quiet with the Max and "ok" with the RS800.
The MAX does, somewhat, pick up outside of 800MHz, just not well when compared to the RS800). This is why I wanted to throw the RH77CA into the equation...to gauge reception of the two "800" antennas in other bands.

Using a BCT15, the MAX 800 will add one bar compared to the RS800 on local trunking and reduce scratch/pop.

So, for 800MHz and still wanting to pick up other bands, I would pop on the RS800.

I think I will put a stick up the bottom of the MAX 800 and put it up outside with a bit of elevation.

Your mileage may vary. Don't run with scissors.

FWIW; If I had to choose just one antenna for overall...it would be the RH77CA.

Last edited:

icom1020

Premium Subscriber
I purchased a few of these from RS

http://www.kk.org/cooltools/archives/001031.php

They stopped carrying them but some stores still have them 17-345

It can be positioned on a window sill or suctioned to a window. Has improvement in situations where an outside antenna is not possible or allowed. I compared it to the RS 800 and it works better I feel.

It requires an FME to BNC adapter.

Attachments

• cell_booster.jpg
    cell_booster.jpg
    23.7 KB · Views: 794
Last edited:

Forts

Mentor
Database Admin
DickH said:
That sounds like this one I posted here 5 or 6 years ago. http://www.pbase.com/dickh/image/27104369

Ground Plane
Use a UHF chassis-mount connector and #10 or #12 solid copper wire (regular house wiring stuff or welding rod).
Approx. length of all elements:
155MHz - 18"
460MHz - 6"
855MHz - 3-1/4"

Just for fun I threw one of these together last night for 800mhz.... and wow! It really works well. On my Pro-96 in comparison with an RS 800mhz ducky it performed just as well or perhaps even a tad better in my location. Well enough for me to want to find a home for it outside somewhere.

ROCKnTIME

Forts said:
Just for fun I threw one of these together last night for 800mhz.... and wow! It really works well. On my Pro-96 in comparison with an RS 800mhz ducky it performed just as well or perhaps even a tad better in my location. Well enough for me to want to find a home for it outside somewhere.

Where can you purchase this type of connector?

ROCKnTIME

Icom1020

Thanks for the information. I purchased the newer model of this antenna and so far it has exceeded my expectations. It receives better then the RS800 or the Seeker 800…Wow!!

icom1020 said:
I purchased a few of these from RS

http://www.kk.org/cooltools/archives/001031.php

They stopped carrying them but some stores still have them 17-345

It can be positioned on a window sill or suctioned to a window. Has improvement in situations where an outside antenna is not possible or allowed. I compared it to the RS 800 and it works better I feel.

It requires an FME to BNC adapter.

Status
Not open for further replies.