Outdoor VHF-Hi/UHF Scanner Antenna.

Status
Not open for further replies.

ermin

It is a great antenna if you are not out in the country. I've had one in my atic since it came out and use it for scanning and 2 amateur bands with great results.

73 de Ed KE4BMR

hoser147

BNS take a look at the Scantenna its not much more money considering you get the coax with it. Ive got one of the RS antenna's you are looking at they arent bad. But if I were to do over I would have went with the Scantenna ST2 unless you have size constraints. Good Scannin Hoser

Allan_Love_Jr

hoser147 said:
BNS take a look at the Scantenna its not much more money considering you get the coax with it. Ive got one of the RS antenna's you are looking at they arent bad. But if I were to do over I would have went with the Scantenna ST2 unless you have size constraints. Good Scannin Hoser
In time.

I have this antenna and live waaay out in the country. It is a decent antenna, I have picked up good quality from over 75 miles away mounted about 20 feet off the ground.

Dubbin

Feed Provider
hoser147 said:
BNS take a look at the Scantenna its not much more money considering you get the coax with it.

Yup, its only about $10 more and you would be MUCH happier with it.

N1BHH

BNSFrailfan said:
Man you Guys are realy fast at posting topics. Thank you very much for the info. This realy helps out alot,Thanks.
The link to the manual is on the page link you were looking at. That antenna seems to be your simple ground plane, with an extra couple of radiating elements. I may just get one to experiment with.

blueangel-eric

Feed Provider
hoser147 said:
All this talk about the scantenna sure makes me wish i was in a house again so i can put mine back up. oh this wretched apartment.

Eric Burris

Allan_Love_Jr

Antenna.

N1BHH said:
The link to the manual is on the page link you were looking at. That antenna seems to be your simple ground plane, with an extra couple of radiating elements. I may just get one to experiment with.
I just got mine this evening. Put it all together. Now the fun part. Getting up on the roof. But as for the Traintenna. That is still on my mind.

Allan_Love_Jr

Update!
Well I manged to get the Antenna up. Everything is working very nicely. That Antenna is Awesome. Not too bad for a Radio Shack brand Antenna. I am mostly interested in monitoring the Railroad band. I am in heaven right now. I can hear the Loveland Detector at Milepost 335.3 very clearly now. Now I am waiting for the Missouri Valley Detector at Milepost 332.0. I hope to go up another 2FT more. But later on that. Thanks everyone for you help.

blueangel-eric

Feed Provider
BNSFrailfan said:
I just got mine this evening. Put it all together. Now the fun part. Getting up on the roof. But as for the Traintenna. That is still on my mind.
I have a Traintenna i'll sell. it's not one of my favorites.

Eric burris

blueangel-eric

Feed Provider
BNSFrailfan said:
Update!
Well I manged to get the Antenna up. Everything is working very nicely. That Antenna is Awesome. Not too bad for a Radio Shack brand Antenna. I am mostly interested in monitoring the Railroad band. I am in heaven right now. I can hear the Loveland Detector at Milepost 335.3 very clearly now. Now I am waiting for the Missouri Valley Detector at Milepost 332.0. I hope to go up another 2FT more. But later on that. Thanks everyone for you help.
i'm glad it works for you. That's your first base install right?

Eric Burris

Allan_Love_Jr

Antenna.

blueangel-eric said:
i'm glad it works for you. That's your first base install right?

Eric Burris
That is correct. Also,Instead of running the Coax down the pipe. It comes out of the Antenna and I "Looped" it right down inside the pipe. I get no Signal loss. I have to go back up on the roof tomorrow and take it back down and figure out a way to seal the connector so that it doesn't corrode.

mancow

Database Admin
RadioShack and some hardware stores sell rolls of coax seal. It's basically a strip of tar like stuff on a strip of wax paper and rolled up. You mold that around the connections to seal them. I thik it's basically the same stuff they sell to seal windshields in cars.

Allan_Love_Jr

Coax seal.

mancow said:
RadioShack and some hardware stores sell rolls of coax seal. It's basically a strip of tar like stuff on a strip of wax paper and rolled up. You mold that around the connections to seal them. I thik it's basically the same stuff they sell to seal windshields in cars.
Thanks Mancow. I will look for it tomorrow.

Status
Not open for further replies.