austin condor all band portable bnc antenna

Status
Not open for further replies.

rjag1946

have a radio shack pro 97. don,t really know much about this, but was thinking of buying the austin condor all band portable bnc antenna for this unit. would it be any better than the one that came with the unit ??? appreciate any info!

pogbobo

anything is better than the Lincoln Log they send out with the scanner haha ... what bands do you listen too? the Radioshack 800 rubber duckie is great for 800mhz and is ok for the rest ...

also i hear this is a good overall antenna, i dont have one but lots of people like it
http://www.universal-radio.com/catalog/hamantht/2368.html

Last edited:

W4KRR

Premium Subscriber
rjag1946 said:
have a radio shack pro 97. don,t really know much about this, but was thinking of buying the austin condor all band portable bnc antenna for this unit. would it be any better than the one that came with the unit ??? appreciate any info!

I have one, and yes, it works better than the antenna supplied with the scanner. And it does so on all bands.

Yes, lots of people recommend the Radio Shack 800MHz antenna. Yes, it does a good job on the 800MHz band, but that's it. It DOES NOT improve reception on any other band other than the 800 and possibly the 900MHz band, when compared to the stock antenna. It will do an adequate job on UHF, and fair on VHF high band, but not better than the stock antenna.

DaveIN

Founders Curmudgen
Database Admin
The Condor is an excellent performer, but it's an ugly duckling.

The stock antenna that comes with the PRO-97 is not too bad for general coverage. It's better at VHF and UHF than it is on 800MHz.

Status
Not open for further replies.