Mobile Antenna

Status
Not open for further replies.

senduhelp

Is it possible to find a magnetic mount mobile scanner antenna with a flexible whip? I have a SUV and have a Radio Shack magnetic mount antenna mounted to the top of it. However if it hits, say for instance going through a drive thru, it knocks it off because the antenna is to stiff. Thanks for any help.

senduhelp

Thanks pogbobo. It looks like a good buy, is the reception pretty good with that one. It looks a little shorter than the one that I currently have.

pogbobo

i would say that it's about the same as a hand held antenna ... I mean don't expect any miracles lol but it does get the job done if you monitor a wide range of frequencies.... for the size and flexi-ness it can't be beat ... the other wide band antennas have more firm/solid whips

and for $17 if it turns out to be a dud for your particualr application its not like you're out 50 bucks ...

senduhelp

Thanks for the info. I'll have to consider purchasing one of those. I scan mostly local activity so reception isn't a major issue for me. I do monitor some ATC frequencies which I may lose a little bit of reception that I am currently getting but like you said, not a major expenditure.

Paulsan

pogbobo answered your question. He's probably right about not doing it. I had one on a over-the-window-edge mount for my VX-7R. It did pretty well until I let the coax and connector drag on the road after it fell out when I opened the door to get something out and then drove off. Not a good thing to do.

KT4HX

Premium Subscriber
pogbobo said:
i would say that it's about the same as a hand held antenna ...

I would venture to say if would be a vast improvement over a handheld antenna inside the vehicle. I know a lot of people like the Valor that pogbobo mentioned. Personally I use the Larsen 150/450/800 antenna, which is about the same height, but you don't get the magmount with it like you do the Valor. So if you don't already have an NMO style magmount base, then you likely would be better off going with the Valor as it would keep your initial costs lower. Also, agree with others, don't fiddle with using the RH77CA on an external mount. Not sure it would hold up well out in the weather for an extended period.

pogbobo

hey Alan, I agree, but I meant the valor on the car would compare to the handheld while it was in use outside of the car ... did that make sense? hahaha you know what i mean :)

and I checked out the larsen tri-band but what got me was the -7 dB rating on the 150mhz band ... i'm sure its still better than the valor, but i'll stick with what i got for now :)

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
Pogbobo, where did you see this -7db figure? I know I've recommended the Larsen tribander to numerous folks, and each has had nothing but good things to say about it, so it would be interesting to find this out.

Of course, a -7db figure is technically meaningless without a standard of reference - a -7dbi loss has meaning, as does a -7dbd loss but just the figure by itself is questionable at best

73s Mike

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
Interesting - the site lists the loss at -7dbi (that last 'i' is important - it says that this loss is rated against an isotropic radiator - something that radiates equally in all directions, which really doesn't exist...). Still though it doesn't explain all that much about why a lot of people like this antenna.

In an urban environment, such a loss characterstic might actually be a good thing. Too much gain, and pagers and other junk might result.

73s Mike

pogbobo

if its so well liked i might just get one for the heck of it ... its only $25 on that site ...

vhf is big where i am bc its so rural ... i had a 5/8 wave 2 meter antenna (hustler mx-2b) on my suv for a while hooked to my icom 2200 and the vhf reception compared to the valor was like night and day ... in the end thats what i would really like, but from a tri band antenna (that isn't 50" tall lol) ... i'll give the larsen a shot and report back :)

bee

The Pro Am "pmm3b" is an excellent "low profile mobile antenna"! "Univrsal Electronics" Buy it. I Have one, going to order another one.

I am not affiliated with "universal electronics", just like this mobile antenna.

doctordave

Pogbobo,

I have that Larsen "tri-band" antenna and previously conducted a side by side mobile comparison against a precisely cut VHF quarter wave whip at 155 MHZ. The quarter wave whip was only minimally better at this frequency for reeling in distant stations.

If you want a really flexible whip for general scanning, here is one option:
http://www.tessco.com/products/displayProductInfo.do?sku=434551&eventGroup=4&eventPage=1
I've used it in the NMO mount format with good success. Takes quite a beating over time - and truly is very flexible.

pogbobo

Dave, thanks for the info ... i figured since I only read that figure at one place and nobody else mentioned it, not even larsen's website lol, that it prolly wasn't that big of a deal ... I still think I'm going to pick one up at some point and see how it does with all the vhf around here ...

and damn, thats one flexible antenna you posted :):)

-Matt

KT4HX

Premium Subscriber
pogbobo said:
hey Alan, I agree, but I meant the valor on the car would compare to the handheld while it was in use outside of the car ... did that make sense? hahaha you know what i mean :)

and I checked out the larsen tri-band but what got me was the -7 dB rating on the 150mhz band ... i'm sure its still better than the valor, but i'll stick with what i got for now :)

Well after I made my post, I kinda got to thinking maybe that was what you meant. lol I agree with the others, I have not seen that -7db rating anywhere else. I am quite happy with mine, and I know what you mean about the Valor - if it's working for you why change it. I would venture to say there is likely not a major difference in performance between the Valor, Larsen, and other brand name antennas when it comes right down to it. I know when I first got the Larsen, I was using the Nil-Jon mobile, and I found the Larsen to be an improvement, in particular at 800 (which is the majority of my listening anyway).

Status
Not open for further replies.