collinear antenna + ground plane?

Status
Not open for further replies.

pogbobo

check out this antenna ...

http://www.radiooutfitter.com/b4505c/antenex/p98387.html

does it need a ground plane if it were to be used as a base antenna? and if so, what length should the radials be?

if you put a 1/4 wave uhf antenna on a ground plane you would use roughly 6" radials, b/c the 1/4 wave would be roughly 6" also ... but this thing is like 32" tall ... would you just use 1/4 wave radials anyway?

shed some light on me :)

fredg

Premium Subscriber
Yes you want a ground plane... I am doing the same thing with a Larsen 2/70 mobile antenna, much like the one you are looking at, mine has a 33" vertical element.

I used the Atenex Mobile-to-Base converter for VHF/UHF.

http://www.monstermarketplace.com/Electronics/Landing1154a719.html

The picture on the website is a 800MHz converter, the VHF/UHF ground plane radials are 22" long and stick straight out. Here is a bad pic of my setup:

Attachments

• antenna.JPG
    antenna.JPG
    31.6 KB · Views: 3,058
Last edited:

N1BHH

I made a quarter wave UHF ground plane out of a PL259 and #10 wire for the vertical and mounted it on a scrap metal plate and it worked fine. That's long ago and gone. An effective ground plane should be minimum of a quarter wave in radius, at UHF at least 6 inches.

fredg

Premium Subscriber
pogbobo said:
thanks for the info and pic :)

The instructions that came with the ground plane kit indicated that you could cut the ground plane radials down to 6" for UHF only.

EDIT:
I actually looked at the instructions again... here is what it says:

Note: For 406-512 MHz cut radials to 8 inches.

Last edited:

pogbobo

but, I'm wondering if longer (longer than 1/4 wave) ground radials would work better with a collinear antenna ...... hmmm

Status
Not open for further replies.