Gutter HF antenna

Status
Not open for further replies.

zguy1243

As one of my antennas that I use for HF reception is the 100 feet or better of aluminum rain gutters that run along the top of the building. I now have a run of coax connected to the bottom of the gutter near the ground by wrapping the center conductor of the coax around a self tapping sheet metal screw and running it into the guttter. What I have been wondering is would it do me any good to attach a balun between the gutter and my coax? as I am feeding the 50 ohm impedance input on my racal 6790. I would assume the gutters would have high impedance properties like a random long wire would?

Thanks
Jody

Last edited:

k9rzz

That's a good question and the best answer would probably be try it and see.

For optimal reception, an antenna tuner at the antenna base would be best (not practical, I know).

A balun is a balanced to unbalanced device, TV types are designed with a 4:1 ratio, some are available with a 1:1 ratio and others are also available. The gutter working against ground is a unbalanced antenna. For use over several different frequencies a variable tuner at the feedpoint would be best. For a short run to your radio use the lowest loss coax you have available and place your tuner at the radio.

Status
Not open for further replies.