NMO mount/bracket

Status
Not open for further replies.

CLTX11

Tried searching the net and the boards to no avail.

I have a 98' Silverado and wanted to mount a Larsen NMO tri band on the drivers side fender.

I have no idea which "L bracket" to get. Any reccomendations? When using an L bracket, how does the antenna fit on the bracket, screw in, screw on? I never have used a NMO mount before.

Also how does the coax fit to the antenna? Do I need to buy teh RG 316 cable :) ok ok, the RG 6 or 8, whichever I need for the length and add a BNC connector on one end and whatever else on the other end for the antenna?

I have seen some theads on this topic but none answered my questions so sorry if this is beating a dead horse.

mfuller1950

NMO Mount/Bracket

If you have a local motorola shop you can probably pickup an "L" bracket there. The NMO mount should fit within the 3/4" hole of the "L" bracket. Then of course the antenna will screw on top of the mount and bracket. The bracket will mount against the inside fender with 3 screws or at least mine did, very simple installation.

W4KRR

Premium Subscriber
Go to this web site, and look at item numbers TMB34 and TMB34B. These are typical "L" brackets. I use the black one, it should works just fine for what you want.

The NMO mount mounts to the hole just as if the hole were drilled in the vehicle body. The coax is usually already attached to the bottom of the NMO mount. You only need to route the coax under the hood and through the vehicle firewall to where the radio will be mounted.

CLTX11

Thanks for the info and the site. So those L brackets should work fine on a 98 silverado?

Also, it doesn't look like the Larsen tri band comes with the coax on it?

Last edited:

W4KRR

Premium Subscriber
CLTX11 said:
Thanks for the info and the site. So those L brackets should work fine on a 98 silverado?

Also, it doesn't look like the Larsen tri band comes with the coax on it?

Usually the antenna comes without any coax. You need to buy the coax separately. Look for RG-58 coax with the NMO mount already attached.

As for whether the "L" bracket will fit your truck; I can't say for sure, but you need a flat vertical edge on the inside of the fender on which to attach the "L" bracket. It only needs to be maybe a minimum of 3/4 inch deep; just deep enough to attach the bracket.

CLTX11

Ok, I think I am catching on. I would have to buy the antenna, L bracket, and also on the Universal website http://www.universal-radio.com/catalog/hamantm/larsenx.html I would need to buy the PO-K...is that correct?
Thanks for helping me out!

W4KRR said:
Usually the antenna comes without any coax. You need to buy the coax separately. Look for RG-58 coax with the NMO mount already attached.

As for whether the "L" bracket will fit your truck; I can't say for sure, but you need a flat vertical edge on the inside of the fender on which to attach the "L" bracket. It only needs to be maybe a minimum of 3/4 inch deep; just deep enough to attach the bracket.

W4KRR

Premium Subscriber
CLTX11 said:
Ok, I think I am catching on. I would have to buy the antenna, L bracket, and also on the Universal website http://www.universal-radio.com/catalog/hamantm/larsenx.html I would need to buy the PO-K...is that correct?
Thanks for helping me out!

Yes, the "PO-K' is the NMO mount with the cable already attached. It should work out fine; I have this same arrangement on the front fender of my F-150.

N5TWB

W4KRR said:
Yes, the "PO-K' is the NMO mount with the cable already attached. It should work out fine; I have this same arrangement on the front fender of my F-150.

Better double check that -- the PO mount is entirely different from an NMO mount and accepts a different kind/style of antenna base. The required combo to do the installation defined by the OP will be the NMO-K (mount and cable kit) and the TMB34(B) bracket. The Larsen tri-band antenna will be the only other component to complete the antenna system.

W4KRR

Premium Subscriber
N5TWB said:
Better double check that -- the PO mount is entirely different from an NMO mount and accepts a different kind/style of antenna base. The required combo to do the installation defined by the OP will be the NMO-K (mount and cable kit) and the TMB34(B) bracket. The Larsen tri-band antenna will be the only other component to complete the antenna system.

Oops; closer inspection reveals that you're quite correct. Hope the OP reads this before he orders anything! :(

CLTX11

N5TWB said:

Thanks, I haven't started ordering anything just yet. I wanted to get everything squared away and figured out all the components needed. I will start pricing everything here soon, still a little chilly outside to do any antenna installs so I might wait til spring comes.

CLTX11

N5TWB said:

Looks like the NMO-K is for a motorola. I need it to connect to a BNC, is there already a kit with BNC or do I need to cut it and add a BNC connector on there?

Thanks

CLTX11

CLTX11 said:
Looks like the NMO-K is for a motorola. I need it to connect to a BNC, is there already a kit with BNC or do I need to cut it and add a BNC connector on there?

Thanks

Ok, I found my answer on Laresen's website. It is a NMOKBNC, I will just need to find it now.

Status
Not open for further replies.