Can anyone identify these antennas? I've never seen anything like these.

Status
Not open for further replies.

prcguy

prcguy

When this pic first turned up I forwarded it to several friends in high places asking what the thing does. The reply was almost unanimous, "you don't want to go there". One person did say it will jam your ***** but otherwise don't go there. I also had a conversation with an ex White House Communications tech about jamming and he claims the feds would never operate a jammer, but the US Military certainly could for them. This is all speculation, of course. Apparently the group, branch or agency that operates the vehicle wants to keep its exact purpose quiet, and that's just fine with me.
prcguy

SkipSanders

Silent Key
If I had to guess, I'd say from size and coils and such that they're broadband HF antennas.

It may not be a 'primary' link, but SS, just like DOJ agencies, has Shortwave channels used as 'utterly nothing else works' links to make sure they can get through. These days, they probably use ALE (Automatic Link Establishment ?) across a range of frequencies to pick which one they use at any given time.

Such things wouldn't be used in day to day SS operations, but when the President moves around, every possible communication link moves with him.

trooperdude

Database Admin
prcguy said:
When this pic first turned up I forwarded it to several friends in high places asking what the thing does. The reply was almost unanimous, "you don't want to go there".
prcguy

State Dept. has them as well for their protective operations.

:D

dehm

8 kiloparsecs from Milky Way's galactic center
prcguy said:
When this pic first turned up I forwarded it to several friends in high places asking what the thing does. The reply was almost unanimous, "you don't want to go there". One person did say it will jam your ***** but otherwise don't go there. I also had a conversation with an ex White House Communications tech about jamming and he claims the feds would never operate a jammer, but the US Military certainly could for them. This is all speculation, of course. Apparently the group, branch or agency that operates the vehicle wants to keep its exact purpose quiet, and that's just fine with me.
prcguy

First, this is OUR gov. At least it was... I was curious because I was interested in purchasing them. At least the VHF/UHF ones...

I actually met a guy that works for WHCA at a bar but I was to drunk to think of asking.. go figure

Gotta admire the symmetry. I assume the radomes are for satcom, the 2 smaller ones look diff. The front-most has a black line between the radials and the other one doesn't. Then there looks like 2 UHF on the opposite side unless they're side mounted VHF or lowband. On the passenger side there is a circular object. Could this be a glass mount antenna? Who knows. I did see a the same concept of antennas mfg. by Larsen. http://www.larsen-antennas.com/ but I assume they are all OEM custom made.

and yes, this pic has been all over the internet.

jay

Last edited:

Skypilot007

Premium Subscriber
I saw that truck or one very similar to it at McGuire Air Force base in NJ about 2 years ago. It was parked in a hanger with several other vehicles. So of course I took a closer look at it. Can't see anything inside due to very dark window tint, even the windshield have some trick tint on it. Hell there could have been someone in the dam thing as I peered into the windows for all I know. Very nice robust appearing antennae on it thats for sure. No one around knew anything about the truck or who brougt it there and for what reason.

Big_Ears

It's just EW, ECM or ECCM equipment. Following after that vehicle will be a EA-6B Prowler zeroing in on your six, followed by a couple of F/A's, right after you've been LIT UP.

prcguy

When is comes to protecting the president or matters of national security, some information is not and should not be available to the public.
I don't see any antenna or radome in the picture that represents a "UHF" satcom antenna. If the vehicle is actually for localized jamming, there would be no need for satcom.
prcguy
dehm said:
First, this is OUR gov. At least it was... I was curious because I was interested in purchasing them. At least the VHF/UHF ones...

I actually met a guy that works for WHCA at a bar but I was to drunk to think of asking.. go figure

Gotta admire the symmetry. I assume the radomes are for satcom, the 2 smaller ones look diff. The front-most has a black line between the radials and the other one doesn't. Then there looks like 2 UHF on the opposite side unless they're side mounted VHF or lowband. On the passenger side there is a circular object. Could this be a glass mount antenna? Who knows. I did see a the same concept of antennas mfg. by Larsen. http://www.larsen-antennas.com/ but I assume they are all OEM custom made.

and yes, this pic has been all over the internet.

jay

kmacka

Now to entertain me. Is this a real pic or is it a suspect photoshop job. If people ACTUALLY saw this vehicle then, I guess it's "real". I just don't trust alot of pictures anymore with the invent of Photoshop.

trooperdude

Database Admin
kmacka said:
Now to entertain me. Is this a real pic or is it a suspect photoshop job. If people ACTUALLY saw this vehicle then, I guess it's "real". I just don't trust alot of pictures anymore with the invent of Photoshop.

I have actually seen this vehicle both on the flightline, and in the motorcaide.

It's real.

mjthomas59

Why wouldn't the government use jamming equipment? I live near Saint Louis and The Boeing Company uses it in their buildings, you can receive calls and hear what is being said, but you can't talk back. If Boeing uses it, i would have a hardtime believing that the Secret Service and White House wouldn't use it also.

I have a friend who did an internship with the Secret Service a while back and some of the stories hes told me and pictures he has shown me to back them up are absolutely unbelievable. I almost wish he wouldn't have told me because the vehicles they operate and the actual capabilities of the Secret Service are outrageous. Lets just say that once you step onto Air Force One or hop into one of the presidential motorcade limos, you have the world at your fingertips. You need guns, missiles, protection from chemical weapons, or the ability to talk to anyone on damn near any frequency, you have it. Imagine the craziest thing you've ever seen done on a James Bond film, multiply it by 100 and then you would be close to the capabilities.

Last edited:

dehm

8 kiloparsecs from Milky Way's galactic center
prcguy said:
When is comes to protecting the president or matters of national security, some information is not and should not be available to the public.
I don't see any antenna or radome in the picture that represents a "UHF" satcom antenna. If the vehicle is actually for localized jamming, there would be no need for satcom.
prcguy

But I soooo want that antenna configuration!! =)

I don't care for the jamming equipment, although it would be fun for a bit... I just like the shielded antenni. I have a 17 foot tall ANLI vertical 2meter/70cm on my roof. The entire 17ft is encased in hardened something or other (not fiberglass) but the actual antenna is inside it for protection against all weather.. It's been attached to a vent with 2 U bolts and I haven't touched it since I put it up.. I checked it yesterday. There's no way that thing is moving...

and those tints look like they're along the lines of 85+ %

the legal limit in VA I believe is 20% and less in MD.

Oh, and I also want this.. http://mwrf.com/files/30/16646/Figure_01.jpg w/ the manpack option..
http://www.defense-update.com/images/falconIII.jpg

dehm

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.