CB antenna for VHF-Low

Status
Not open for further replies.

mjthomas59

Just curious what kind of results i would get if i put up a quality cb antenna for monitoring the 42mhz range. I had put up a fiberglass scanner antenna on my roof along with a discone and the fiberglass has got to go. Thankfully it was free so its not like i'm really losing anything, but the mount i have is for a 3/8 x 24 connection so i'd like to stick with that if possible.

Any thoughts on this, or if there is an antenna with a 3/8 x 24 mount that is made for approx40 mhz. I have considered buying a 102" whip and just cutting it down, but i'm not sure if that is the best option or not.

Thanks for the help!

kb2vxa

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
I've cut down 102" mobile whips, ground planes and the Shakespeare Big Stick but I'm not sure they make that one any more. They all worked out just fine and I remember a few hams who used CB antennas on 6M with a tuner. I suppose a Cushcraft Ringo telescoped up a bit would work as well, just never tried one myself but it worked great on 6M.

Raven95150

Premium Subscriber
Although it wouldn't be the ideal antenna for that frequency, it would probably work ok.

You could try a 6 meter Hamstick, it would be closer to the right frequency than a CB antenna. I use the 2 meter version with my FT-2800 and it works great. They do use a 3/8-24 mount and they don't cost any more than a CB antenna.

http://www.hamstick.com/9106-6.htm

They sell them for $28.95 plus shipping, but I got mine at a local ham shop for $25.

Last edited:

brey1234

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
my experience

Here is what I tried and it works great.

Buy a quality 6 meter/2 meter/440 mhz all band mobile antenna. It will run u a few bucks but the preformance is worth it.
You get gain at 144/440 Mhz and at low band freqs the antenna acts like a quarter wave!

mjthomas59

I'm strongly considering the Comet SB15, a tri band 6m/2m/440. Specs as follows:

"The Comet SB15 triband is a 6 meter, 2 meter and 440 MHz mobile antenna. It is a 1/4 wave on 6 meters providing 2.15 dB gain and a 5/8 wave on 2 meters providing 4.5 dB gain and a 3 5/8 wave on 440 MHz providing 7.2 dB gain. VSWR 1.5 : 1 or less. This antenna can handle up to 120 watts."

I found it for about 80bucks with shipping. That seems like a pretty decent price and seems to fit my needs and then some.

Just curious, but what type of lightening protection do you think i should look into for this. This antenna would stick up about 10 inches higher than my chimney on my roof so lightening protection seems like it should be a strong consideration. Any thoughts?

Status
Not open for further replies.