dB question

Status
Not open for further replies.

jakegday

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
this might be a stupid question but do more dB's give you better reception from further away? in my case i live about 30-40 miles from all the 800 mhz traffic i'd like to monitor, and when i get an 800mhz antenna, would getting a 3 dB antenna be good? would a 5 dB be better? this will be a mobile antenna...

zz0468

QRT
Banned
DB's don't give you anything. It's a unit of measurement, a ratio between two values, actually.

In answer to your question, a higher gain antenna ("more db's") would be better, but don't expect any miracles. 800 MHz systems are frequently built to NOT cover much past their intended area, and 30 or 40 miles might be stretching it - especially mobile.

pogbobo

I get an 800mhz system that is 54 miles away from me using just my radioshack 800 antenna :) but my house is at 1860ft and the county I listen to is around 1100ft so i'm sure that helps .... just my 2cents

jakegday

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
i currently use the RS 800 mhz antenna, it works great once im in the area im trying to listen to, but where im at now, it works "fair", i need something just a little bit better, so i was thinking about getting a 3-5dB 800mhz moblie antenna from antenex, i was also eyeing the unity gain austin spectra, even though the austin spectra is not designed for the 800mhz band like the RS model is, do you think it would perform better for me in my situation?? or should i stick with an 800mhz only antenna??

Status
Not open for further replies.