scanntenna and 800mhz trunking

Status
Not open for further replies.

NoRide

Some will say the Scantenna works well, others such as myself will say it doesn't. :twisted:

I say it's all about location, etc. as if I was in the center of "town," many antennas would work. However, I live in the boonies with ridges and such. Normally, I get one or two bars when monitoring 800mhz trunking systems. The Scantenna is deaf for the most part. I use a window mounted RS800 and a Wilson Yagi instead. Note: both are indoor.

bonus1331

I agree. Scantenna is great for UHF and VHF, and close to horrific on 800. I also use a 800 Mhz yagi for my monitoring of this band.

schillin

What's the best outside antenna to hear both 155 MHz local police / fire and 867 MHz trunked communications from the state police? I have a cheapie RS 20-176 antenna mounted outside on a pole. The 867 trunked communications don't come in too well. I'm about to replace the 50 feet of RG58 cable with LMR 400. Is there a better antenna?

bonus1331

As stated above, to get the best of both those bands you need 2 antennas.
I use the Scantenna for UHF/VHF and a Wilson Yagi with LMR400 for the 800 Mhz band.

STOGIE

Premium Subscriber
800mhz trunking

Hi im new to scanning and i just learned last week that our county just went digital. The trunking system is in the 800mhz. ranges, my scanner is the pro2096, and scancat programmed it with their software. The 800mhz. systems are loaded into bank 3
and all i have to say is "very crappy reception" sounds like aliens at times and scancat says it's normal, but i remembered that 800mhz signals should be programmed into a higher bank and lower signals into the lower banks. Heck i was ready to try to hook up my cablesystem cable, For fear of damageing my scanner i loaded all 800mhz into bank 9 and
everything sounds like it was happening right in my living room. Now im very pleased
and im reloading all the frequencies into their propper spots. But i still want to know if i can hook up the cablevision with an adaptor what do you ppl. know about it .Thanks for any input

schillin

Thanks for letting me know about the Yagi for 800 mhz.

Can you suggest a good outdoor omnidirectional antenna to scan 800 MHz trunked communications?

thanks

Chris

dow35

just got a scantenna and it might be cheaply built but this antenna rocks its one of the best i have ever used the discone doesnt even compare

cms

wilson yagi

I have a scanner setup to pickup a 800 mhz trunked system (866-868mhz for all the chans) and am using the RS rubber ducky on the back of the desktop scanner. There is a lot of noise on the audio, and I am guessing that is due to the antenna and the fact it is in a computer room with all sorts of stuff going on. The location is in the middle of a major town where the signal should be strong so I think I just need to get a signal from outside.

I was going to run a short 25ft run of lmr400 to the roof and am looking for an antenna. I see the Wilson yagis all over ebay listed for cellular repeaters. Is this what you are using? Does it work well ? (Model info from ebay listings Wilson Yagi Cellular Antenna #301111)

You can hear the audio issue I am talking about http://www.antrants.com/cam.m3u

Hopefully the antenna will help with the static noise on there...

bonus1331 said:
As stated above, to get the best of both those bands you need 2 antennas.
I use the Scantenna for UHF/VHF and a Wilson Yagi with LMR400 for the 800 Mhz band.

Status
Not open for further replies.