Multiple antennas into one scanner..

Status
Not open for further replies.

EVT0005

I want to feed multiple antennas into a single scanner without using a diplexer or anything else but a single bnc to double bnc adapter. Will this work? Is there any tangable benifit? Right now I am using a RS 20-176 antenna and a RS PRO-2055 scanner. Will be buying a Diamond D-130J in the near future. Using RG-58/U coax with PL-259 connectors. The antenna currently is about 30ft. or so above the ground...Also my antenna mast is not grounded to earth. Would there be any benifit other than lighting protection to doing this? Please let me know your thoughts...

Attachments

• antenna3.jpg
    antenna3.jpg
    20.1 KB · Views: 627

N4DXX

Premium Subscriber
EVT0005 said:
I want to feed multiple antennas into a single scanner without using a diplexer or anything else but a single bnc to double bnc adapter. Will this work? Is there any tangable benifit? Right now I am using a RS 20-176 antenna and a RS PRO-2055 scanner. Will be buying a Diamond D-130J in the near future. Using RG-58/U coax with PL-259 connectors. The antenna currently is about 30ft. or so above the ground...Also my antenna mast is not grounded to earth. Would there be any benifit other than lighting protection to doing this? Please let me know your thoughts...
First thing throw that coax in the trash and buy rg-6 or lmr-400..And feeding that scanner with multiple antenna's will not work.The best thing you can do is get plenty of hight and low loss cable..

trooperdude

Database Admin
EVT0005 said:
I want to feed multiple antennas into a single scanner without using a diplexer or anything else but a single bnc to double bnc adapter. Will this work? Is there any tangable benifit?

No, there is no tangible benefit.

It's against the laws of physics.

Specifically you will introduce out-of-phase signals that will make your reception even worse than a poor single antenna system by canceling-out certain frequencies completely.

The sputnik is far superior to a discone for your application.

Use quality cable. LMR-400 is recommended, the proper connectors and adapters, and ground the mast.

Take the time and $$ and do it correctly, or you're just wasting your time and worse, negating any homeowner's insurance in case of a problem.

BTW ,NEMA requires that satellite dish to be grounded as well.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.