UHF Receiving Distance

Status
Not open for further replies.

ATTACKFF

Premium Subscriber
I live in WestCentral PA. A lot of counties around me including mine are switiching from low band & VHF-Hi band to repeated UHF, none have went trunked as of yet. I live at an elevation of prob close to 2000 feet. With a good outside Antenna on a pole prob 10-15 feet above my house roof and a good scanner or RECEIVE only radio how far away would I beable to receive? Again I do not want to transmit, just receive. Right now I can receive as far away as Allegany Co. MD on 33.78 and I can receive Jefferson Co PA VHF and Clearfield Co PA 46.14 when they used to use it. I cannot receive them on UHF at this time, I was wondering with a good quality set up if I would be able to receive them again?

k9rzz

It's very hard to give a solid answer. It depends upon what kind of terrain you're in, how much power, what kind of antennas, how high their antennas are ... and it may vary a little day to day. Put up the best system you can and WYSIWYG (what you see is what you get).

:^]

socalmike

Try this

Hi,

If all you are mainly interested in is 400 MHz UHF , google/ebay " BS-450 antenna" and see if you can pick up one for about 30$ . I use this antenna and can pick up mobiles on the tuned frequency up to 15 miles with the antenna in the attic (about 20 ft high). Keep in mind you have about 5 MHz of bandwith to peak it on but I have 2 of them and they fit in small spaces and still pull in the signals. A side note, I found that they also work well on VHF (just divide the tuned UHF freq by 3) . Your mileage may vary.

mike

specs:
BS-450 base station antenna
Monoband for commercial UHF band
Capable of 406-512 MHz with BW 5MHz
Gain: 2 x 5/8 wave, 5dB
VSWR: less than 1.5:1 over 5 MHz
Max Power: 200 Watt
Connector: SO239
Mast dia. accepted: 30-62mm.
Max wind load: 50m/sec

Status