Mobile Antenna

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tophtoh

Does anyone know a good mobile antenna, shortest as possible would be great. With specifically good reception in 800 MHz but not limited to. Thanks in advance.

Q-ball

This is similar to the question i posted under "800 mhz" in this forum, only im looking to buy a predominatley vhf/uhf antenna, for my car to use with a scanner that will have maybe only a handful of 800 mhz freqs...now, will a vhf/uhf antenna affect the handful of 800 mhz freqs i plan on putting in the bc350c im gonna buy?...ive been all over the antenex site and hamcity, and their ranges dont go much past 450mhz...but most of the freqs. i will need to input go higher than that, and like i said, a few are 8XX.XXX.

KT4HX

Premium Subscriber
Q-ball said:
This is similar to the question i posted under "800 mhz" in this forum, only im looking to buy a predominatley vhf/uhf antenna, for my car to use with a scanner that will have maybe only a handful of 800 mhz freqs...now, will a vhf/uhf antenna affect the handful of 800 mhz freqs i plan on putting in the bc350c im gonna buy?...ive been all over the antenex site and hamcity, and their ranges dont go much past 450mhz...but most of the freqs. i will need to input go higher than that, and like i said, a few are 8XX.XXX.

I agree with N1BHH on the Larsen 150/450/800 for the original poster, however, in your case I would recommend the Larsen NMO-2/70B. It should perform better on VHF/UHF for you and still allow you to receive your local 800 freqs (I can receive 800 trunked systems with no problem). Like the ones you mentioned seeing it is made for the 144-148 and 440-450 ham bands, but don't worry about that, it will work for receive over a wider area. They can be found at HRO, Universal Radio, R&L Electronics, The Ham Station (and many others). It usually runs around $60, and that is the antenna alone, you will need an NMO mount for it. Here is one link to it (the one labeled as NMO 2/70B): http://www.universal-radio.com/catalog/hamantm/larsenm.html

Hope that helps.

Q-ball

http://www.antenex.com/index051206.htm

This is the one im really drawn to..the cellular disguise antenna...looks nice, pretty sharp...its predominately for the uhf.vhf...but does that also mean it can reign in some 800mhz stuff?..thats what confuses me...why is it called cellular disguise, due to the fact thats what cell antennas on cars look like?...would this be a worthwhile purchase against the larsen 2/70b?

mjthomas59

Q-ball said:
http://www.antenex.com/index051206.htm

This is the one im really drawn to..the cellular disguise antenna...looks nice, pretty sharp...its predominately for the uhf.vhf...but does that also mean it can reign in some 800mhz stuff?..thats what confuses me...why is it called cellular disguise, due to the fact thats what cell antennas on cars look like?...would this be a worthwhile purchase against the larsen 2/70b?

THe link i followed didn't bring up a specific antenna, but please stay away from glass-mount antennas(that is what comes to mind with the term "cellular lookalike").

There are plenty of antenna choices if your interests are for VHF and UHF reception. I personally use a 5/8 wave VHF antenna and it works great for me on vhf and uhf, and also does a good enough job for me on 800mhz.

To the OP, for the money the Larsen all-band antenna is a good bet. I've heard the Austin Spectra is a great antenna also, but costs a considerable amount more money.

Q-ball

Actually i was comparin' the larsen 2/70 antennas and the ones i was looking at on antenex's website, and when it comes to being a bit more flashy and eyecatching, antenex wins out over larsen. But performance is also important to me, like i said, im looking for primarily a uhf/vhf antenna, but it has to be capable of a little800mhz also. Ill most likely end up going with the larsen2/70b, but i was wondering if anyone had any luck with antenex brand, since they seem a bit more attractive then the larsen.

Michael.

Status
Not open for further replies.