Really confused - I must be missing alot

Status
Not open for further replies.

sfish69

OK....here goes....my first post on this site. I have been reading for a long time but I have hit a wall. Here goes.

I have been scanning for about 10 years off and on - purely as a hobby - I have acquired enough info to be dangerous. It must be said that all my knowledge comes from forums like these. I don't get half of what you all are talking about, (truth be told, I get the descriptions of what you all are saying, I just cannot connect that to real world implementations and "what would that option really mean if I checked it").

I just want to find that "scanner buddy" that tells me what is best and off I would go...happy in my bliss.

Here is my dilemma. I have decided to purchase the GRE 500 as my next scanner. I am seriously leaning towards the 500 over the 600 only because of its portability. I also will be listening a lot from my house.

I have a "WBD-40 Discone Base Antenna", at least it looks like that one :). I am looking for recommendations for a 1-3 antenna system that will let me pick up everything in the Glastonbury CT area. I want to hear the CSP (digital), local and municipalities.

Yes, I want it all.

Can someone please give me a detailed list of what they think I should get and why. It should be said that I will also need help in figuring out how the heck to connect more than one antenna to a scanner. Like I said, I have blindly made my way through the scanner world to this point but really want to take it to the next level.

Your patience and help is really appreciated
- John

mjthomas59

A couple of quick questions for you.

#1 are you planning on having all 3 of these antennas connected to your scanner? Further, are you wanting your scanner to try and receive from all 3 of them at once.

#2 I would have to assume that you are wanting to setup 2-3 base antennas to connect to your psr-500.

From what i can see from the DB you have frequencies in the 150's, 450-460's, and the 800mhz range.

Before i spent any money at all i would seriously reconsider buying a handheld if you are trying to setup some sort of elaborate antenna system. A handheld scanner and good base antennas haven't mixed well in my experience.

That being being said the furthest i would go without dropping a bundle on 3 antennas, a multicoupler, and all the coax, i would just go to radioshack and buy the discone they sell for about 30 bucks. Here is the link:

http://www.radioshack.com/product/i...052.2032075.2032078.2032098&parentPage=family

If that doesn't work it is model number 20-176. This antenna works great on VHF and UHF frequencies. The 800mhz performance should be sufficient as you are trying to monitor a statewide system(which are usually pretty high power and easier to pick up while stationary.)

Another option is the Scantenna, although i'm not sure where the best place to buy them is.

Also you didn't mention what kind of tower you are using or anything of that nature. More information would be greatly appreciated on this. To do what you mentioned, and put up 3 high gain antennas, with high quality coax, plus a multicoupler could easily run you close to $500.

Last edited:

thewenk

Idaho DB Admin
Database Admin
mjthomas59 said:
A couple of quick questions for you.

From what i can see from the DB you have frequencies in the 150's, 450-460's, and the 800mhz range.

Before i spent any money at all i would seriously reconsider buying a handheld if you are trying to setup some sort of elaborate antenna system. A handheld scanner and good base antennas haven't mixed well in my experience.

That being being said the furthest i would go without dropping a bundle on 3 antennas, a multicoupler, and all the coax, i would just go to radioshack and buy the discone they sell for about 30 bucks. Here is the link:

http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2103641&cp=2032052.2032075.2032078.2032098&parentPage=family

If that doesn't work it is model number 20-176. This antenna works great on VHF and UHF frequencies. The 800mhz performance should be sufficient as you are trying to monitor a statewide system(which are usually pretty high power and easier to pick up while stationary.)

Another option is the Scantenna, although i'm not sure where the best place to buy them is.

Also you didn't mention what kind of tower you are using or anything of that nature. More information would be greatly appreciated on this. To do what you mentioned, and put up 3 high gain antennas, with high quality coax, plus a multicoupler could easily run you close to $500.
I agree. Start with one antenna and see how it works. Try the one you already have first. Get more experience with the one antenna before you worry about 2 or 3 antennas. Connecting those can get rather complex and your results might not be much better than using just one all-band antenna.

I have a PSR500 and you don't need an elaborate ouside antenna system to get adequate reception. Also you didn't say what kind of scanner you presently have and what kind of reception you get with it.

Dave

Status
Not open for further replies.