driven array vs. parasitic array antennas

Status
Not open for further replies.

inblo0m

Hi everyone...

I'm a newbie and there's a question that i'm eager to ask...

In terms of gain, does the parasitic array have a larger gain than the driven array (with the same number of elements)? Can I ask why? Please can I have your answers? Thank you so much...

zz0468

QRT
Banned
Interesting question, but I don't think you can really make a comparison. A log-periodic antenna with the same boom length and number of elements as a comparable yagi is going to have less gain. But a plane-reflector array or a collinear array with the same number of elements might have more.

inblo0m

Ahh...ok...

So what's the explanation about this? Is there some kind of equation for this? Thank you so much for the reply...(",)

zz0468

QRT
Banned
The explanation is simply that different antennas have different performance. Sure, there's an equation for everything.

prcguy

Do you mean driven array as in a log periodic or seperately fed multiple dipoles? A general rule is whenever you double the amount of elements on a yagi or dipole array, the gain increases 3dB. If you start with say a 5 element yagi, you have to make it a 10 element to get the additional 3dB and if you make it a 20 element yagi you will get another 3dB for a total of 6dB gain over the 5 elements you started with. If you start with a commercial 4-element exposed dipole array like a DB Products DB-408, you could add another 4 elements in the exact same fashion to get an additional 3dB gain and so on. In these cases all the antenna elements are active at a given frequency and work together to produce a narrower radiation pattern, which results in gain. A log periodic was all elements connected to the feedline but only a few will be active at any given frequency. The amount of elements and spacing between elements is a compromise of frequency range and gain. For example the Create log periodic that covers 100MHz to 1.3GHz has about half the elements and half the boom length of a KMA Rover that covers a similar frequency range. The Rover will have more elements active at a given frequency and more gain over the smaller Create log periodic. Surprisingly (or not), Create rates their log antenna at a higher gain than KMA, go figure.
prcguy

k9rzz

inblo0m said:
Hi everyone...

I'm a newbie and there's a question that i'm eager to ask...

In terms of gain, does the parasitic array have a larger gain than the driven array (with the same number of elements)? Can I ask why? Please can I have your answers? Thank you so much...

Good question. The yagi beats driven arrays ... why? You got me ... I don' even think it says in the ARRL Antenna Handbook (does it?).

Everybody uses yagis over bays of dipoles for a reason though. I mean, who builds W8JK's ??

When size is a factor, then you'll see the '4 square' or other combo's used though (160 and 80 meters).

For VHF, you can't beat a 'bay of yagis' though. Put up a box of 4 - eleven element 2 meter yagis for FM work and see who's King of the Castle.
783.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.