Pole Barn reception trouble

Status
Not open for further replies.

ynahpetscnb

I hope this is the place to post this.
I have a pole barn that I can't get reception in. My radio, cell phone and my wireless internet all wil not work in the pole barn. If I open the doors I get great reception. I live in MN so that is not an option for 6 months of the year. What can I do or buy that will let me get reception in a steel building?

KR4BD

An outside antenna is your only option as I see it. Being inside a metal building is the same as being in a Faraday Shield.

KR4BD

It would not be practical for one antenna to do it all. Since your cell phone is a transmitting device, it would be best to have a dedicated antenna for this item only. You have several difference frequency ranges involved here and trying get them all to work (receiving and transmitting simultaneously) would involve highly tuned (and expensive) diplexing/duplexing for each frequency involved...

I am sure someone will say it is possible, but I say it would not be even remotely practical to design and build such an antenna system. It's best to use a separate antenna for each item here. To minimize loses, keep feedlines as short as possible and use only high quality coaxial cable and connectors.

Would it be possible to replace part of the siding that faces your desired direction with maybe translucent fiberglass panels?

Status
Not open for further replies.