200 W rated antenna

Status
Not open for further replies.

k5wrk

How much FM power can I run to an antenna that is rated for 200 W? I have been told that an antenna with this rating can handle 200 W on SSB, but not on FM, my question is how much FM power can I run to this antenna safely.

I have a workman UVS300 17 foot vertical.

k9rzz

How much do you want to run?

I wouldn't put a KW through it.

350? Hmmmm. You _might_ do it for short transmissions.

n5usr

Premium Subscriber
Since that is a vertical VHF/UHF antenna, I would be quite surprised if they rated it using an SSB power rating - SSB is almost always run using a horizontal antenna, so is an unlikely use for that antenna. I couldn't find anything that mentioned what the rating was for, just 200W, so I would assume (which - granted - can get you into trouble at times...) that the 200W is an FM rating.

Looking at Diamond's website, they don't mention SSB/FM either - just "power" - and some are intended for repeater use (continuous duty, and FM). Just happened to have bought a Comet tri-bander recently, and the supplied instructions do note FM after the power rating, although their website does not - just lists the power. It's probably safe to assume that rating is for FM power.

k8mcn

don't really know of anyone running 200 watts FM @ the amateur level.............so i dont think you will have to worry bout hurting the antenna..........if it is a vertical and no traps, with the proper coax it will take a KW plus at 10,15 meters SSB etc if the SWR is good

Last edited:

n5usr

Premium Subscriber
You don't know some of the guys around me, then... :D Heck, a few of them find it "necessary" to run that kind of power in their cars. One even has a tendency to melt down the coils in his antennas!

Never mind their signals aren't any better than everyone else running 50W, except for rare corner cases...

(Note we are running simplex, these aren't repeater guys. But still, not much point!)

k8mcn

N1BHH said:
200 watts is 200 watts, no matter what emission is being used. 200 watts is RF output power.
I agree completely, but the way the 200 watts is emitted will make a difference as to if the emitter, feed line, and antenna can handle it...RTTY vs CW vs SSB vs AM vs FM.......That is more what i meant by my post,sorry if i mislead him

n2mdk

I ran 175W on 2M and 135W 0n 440 both FM and SSB with no problems through Diamond X300 and X500 antennas both rated at 200W. The modulation types make no difference.
There are also plenty of people like myself who ran SSB through verticals.

prcguy

Modulation type has a big part to play in power ratings. FM and CW being continuous power will heat much faster than SSB which is a very small duty cycle. A properly working 200w AM transmitter will produce only 50w carrier with the other 6dB only available during full modulation. Some pulsed radar modes operate at very low duty cycle and produce thousands of watts peak power but only a few watts average power. When you reach some higher power levels arching becomes a problem and can happen instantly with all modes when full modulation is applied.
prcguy
n2mdk said:
I ran 175W on 2M and 135W 0n 440 both FM and SSB with no problems through Diamond X300 and X500 antennas both rated at 200W. The modulation types make no difference.
There are also plenty of people like myself who ran SSB through verticals.

Status
Not open for further replies.